The Frog’s Leap Wine Specialist will participate as an active member of the hospitality team in the daily activities of the tour, tasting and retail operations. As a member of this diverse and dynamic hospitality team, our shared goal is to create memorable wine experiences for guests of our Rutherford winery.
Reports to: Hospitality Manager, Assistant Tasting Room Manager
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Following our mission statement “To make wines of terroir, responsibly farmed, sustainably produced and joyfully shared “, the Wine Specialist delivers focused and personable presentations of Frog’s Leap wines, vineyards, grape-growing and wine making philosophies. And creates distinct and memorable wine experiences for Consumer, Trade, Wine Club (AKA Fellowship) and VIP guests through personalized tableside tasting experiences, tours, special programs, virtual tastings and special events.
As a member of the Frog’s Leap hospitality team, together we embrace a service-forward philosophy: “We create a personalized visit for each guest whereby our actions are guided by a genuine desire to create a lasting memory and connection, with warmth and sincere hospitality.”
We accomplish this together, by:
• Adjust service based on social cues and known guest’s preferences prior to the visit.
• Provide timely follow up on guest experiences through hand written letters, emails, and phone calls to solidify relationship for future visits and referrals.
• To be responsive, gracious & creative in solving customer problems or complaints and to take it one step further and try to anticipate Guests needs.
• Record guest sales and experience information for accurate reporting by week, month and year.
• Providing seamless fulfillment options for guest to regularly enjoy Frog’s Leap wines:
a. Utilize POS and Reservation software to prepare for, connect and follow up with guests.
b. Coordinate with Direct to Consumer department to implement updated shipping, tracking and fulfillment options for wine orders.
c. Improve client loyalty and sales by enrolling new members into the Fellowship of the Frog, our wine club community.
• Prioritize teamwork
a. Work collaboratively with co-workers in Hospitality, Hospitality Support and beyond to ensure smooth, customer service focused operations in the Tasting Room and other Hospitality Spaces.
b. Communicate regularly with team and managers regarding trends and habits of guests.
c. Transition effortlessly from one on one hosting during slower periods to hosting multiple groups at one time in a fast-paced environment.
d. To assist in all daily hospitality duties and activities; from opening side work, to continuous care of our Vineyard House throughout the day, to closing procedures.
• To continue to develop your own palate and wine knowledge by participating in informal tastings held at the winery and with winery partners.
• To occasionally assist with the organization, planning & execution of customer events.
The essential duties of this role include:
• Greet all visitors, conducting guided tours and pouring wines for tasting; describing wines, winemaking techniques, winery history and provides general tourist information
• Educate customers about the uniqueness of our brand, including our winery history, vineyard sources, guiding principles, farming practices, accolades and awards
• Maintain a service-first and consultative approach to selling wine and non-wine products, and club memberships. Soft-sell approach requires an emphasis on building a connection to people, place and wines, and sales and enrollments will follow. Requires a deep understanding of how to pace an experience, provide opportunity for a purchase or enrollment to occur through presentation and education, and to ask for the sale.
• Learn and adjust operations to capture and maintain customer information for future sales and marketing efforts
• Responsible to opening and closing duties, set-up and break-down various tastings; includes washing and polishing glassware
• Handling routine purchase transactions, including operating cash register and accounting of daily sales and bank deposits
Additionally, this position:
• Maintains opening, closing and cash handling responsibilities.
• Acts as a Brand Ambassador at special functions, interactive tasting experiences and on and off-site events
The ideal Frog’s Leap Wine Specialist will know, and be practiced in the culture of warm and gracious customer service. 2+ years of customer service/hospitality experience is essential. Strong work ethic, comfort with public speaking, a consummate team player with genuine enthusiasm to share your passion for wine is paramount. We are seeking team members who have a lively interest in and continuously growing knowledge of the world of wine. This position requires weekends and some holidays.
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The physical demands of the job may include standing for long periods of time, while working with and servicing guests. One must be able to lift 40 pounds repeatedly throughout the day. The work environment of this position involves delivering wine experiences to our guests both indoors and outdoors, weather permitting. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Frog’s Leap is a dynamic winery that has experienced continuous growth since our very first vintage, in 1984. Our continual evolution requires ever more experienced, and capable team members with diverse backgrounds, perspectives and interests. Each member is hired with long-term retention and growth within the company in mind.