Harvest Cellar Hand
CedarCreek Estate Winery
Kelowna, British Columbia
End of August to November
Our Winery is in the heart of British Columbia’s Okanagan Valley, building on more than three decades of winemaking, and defining a new chapter with bright, expressive North Okanagan wines. Our year-round tasting room and Home Block restaurant, housed in contemporary farmhouse buildings, offer our visitors an exceptional experience in a serene natural setting.
CedarCreek sources organically farmed fruit from estate vineyards between Kelowna and Osoyoos, with production split approximately half between white and red. Our facility is a certified organic production facility with plans to convert 100% of viticulture and winemaking to organic by harvest 2021. We have the capability to sort to individual berries, and we ferment in concrete, stainless, and oak - with one of the largest barrel programs in the valley. We use techniques such as whole bunch press, skin contact, extended maceration, and spontaneous fermentation and malolactic fermentation to help build personality into our wines across the spectrum.
Our emphasis is on cool climate varieties – Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Riesling, Pinot Gris, and Sauv Blanc. We have 35 acres planned for planting at CedarCreek in 2020 and 2021, with a focus on building a self-sustaining property from a winemaking and culinary perspective. This exciting opportunity to be a part of a winery team goes well beyond winemaking to other parts of the business.
Day in the life:
Our Harvest Cellar Hand contributes as a member of our winemaking team, dedicated to producing world-class wines and providing the finest and most intimate estate winery experience. They participate in the execution of all harvest winemaking activities at the CedarCreek Estate Winery related to the production of our VQA - British Columbia wine portfolio.
Want to know more? You will be responsible for…
• Ferment management (temperature control, inoculation, cap management, monitoring nutrient status, punch downs and pump overs);
• Identifying and reducing potential microbial issues – grapes, must, and bulk wine
• Grape processing, fermentations, pressings, racking, transfers, blending, topping, wine aging, wine treatments, bottling, barrel maintenance;
• Sanitation; clean grape processing equipment, sanitize tanks, barrel cleaning, barrel stacking, and overall cleanliness of the cellar;
• Operating presses, destemmers, punch down systems, pump over systems, barrel washers, ozone machines, pumps, heating & cooling systems, solenoids, control stats, draining and pressing;
• University degree in Oenology/Winemaking or applicable Science Related Field ; Diploma in Oenology/Winemaking or applicable Science Related field considered an asset
• Ideally a minimum of 1 harvest experience, preferably 2 with one international.
• Proficient in operation of all production equipment.
• Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects at one time.
• Strong computer literacy experienced with MS Office and the ability to learn and use company wine inventory system (Vintrace).
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
If this sounds like you, head over to our website at www.cedarcreek.bc.ca, and submit your online application today