Hidden Bench Estate Winery farms 80 acres (32ha) of certified organic fruit across three distinct vineyards along the Beamsville Bench in Niagara, Ontario. Our focus is on Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Riesling. Within our farms we also have a small quantity of Bordeaux white & red varietals, Viognier & Malbec.
We are looking for seasonal harvest staff to join our team and perform all routine cellar duties for the 2021 Harvest. You will gain valuable experience working with ultra-premium, cool-climate fruit as well as New World and Traditional winemaking techniques and styles.
Your key responsibilities will be:
- Assist the winemaker and assistant winemaker with sampling in the vineyard, as well as other tasks assigned to the vineyard
- Perform cellar duties, including running equipment, hand sorting, supervising on the sorting line, forklift operation, pressing, barrel work, rackings, etc.
- Carry out proper techniques for cleaning, sanitising and storing wine equipment as well as operational set-ups for routine winery work, such as processing, wine and juice transfers and tank preparations
- Carry out specific functions in the cellar during harvest, including, but not limited to the following: punch downs, juice racking, additions to fermenting barrels and tanks, barrel filling and/or emptying and cleaning
- Properly and accurately complete work orders and other tracking documents
- Follow standard operating procedures in the performance of all cellar activities to ensure that maximum productivity and wine quality goals are achieved
- Adhere to all safety policies and procedures
- Additional duties as assigned
* University Degree or College qualification in Viticulture and Oenology
* Ability to work as a team with all winery employees
* Ability to work flexible hours, night shifts and weekends. Overtime required
* Previous cellar experience required
* Licensed fork lift operators preferred, but not required
* Must be able to lift 20kg on a regular basis
* Candidates must be able to work in Ontario without requiring an LMIA.