Opportunity: Assistant Winemaker
Road 13 Vineyards
Oliver, B.C., Canada
At ROAD 13 it’s all about the dirt, our team, and our desire to produce top quality wine. Awarded #1 Winery in Canada in 2018, we understand that great wine starts with equally passionate people. Want to be part of our story? We’re looking for an energetic, motivated, and reliable Assistant Winemaker to join our team.
Day in the Life:
Our team harvests grapes from the Southern Okanagan and Similkameen Valleys, working with up to 450 tons of fruit per year. Our winery focuses mainly on red wines produced from Merlot, Syrah, Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon, but also work with Malbec, Mourvedre, Petit Verdot, Gamay Noir and Pinot Noir. White wines make a smaller part of our portfolio, but the varietals are equally exciting, focusing on Chenin Blanc, Viognier and Chardonnay.
Reporting to the Winemaker, the Assistant Winemaker assists and participates in the execution of all winemaking activities at Road 13 Vineyards related to the production of specific wines in our British Columbia wine portfolio (VQA).
• In accordance with the specified production procedures, schedules and supervises wine production operations including harvest duties such as coordinating grape receival, tank and barrel fermentation, and ongoing winemaking and cellar operations during the year.
• In collaboration with the other winemakers, writes and distributes work orders for cellar activities.
• Assists in the annual blending process for all BC VQA wines.
• Participates in regular sensory evaluation trials.
• Assists in the development of procedural and quality control policies and manuals.
• Assist Purchasing with Bulk Inventory Management, maintaining computer records for all internal wine movements and inventories.
• Build and cultivate a strong relationship with the cellar team, leading without authority and ensuring fluid and consistent communication occurs.
• May be called upon to conduct educational tours and tastings.
Skills, Education, and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree (B.S) in Enology, Fermentation Science, Viticulture or related field from a recognized university.
• Minimum 2 years of Harvest or cellar experience.
• Ability to work independently, or in a team environment.
• Strong computer literacy, experienced with MS Office and the ability to learn and use company wine inventory system
• Works with a strong sense of urgency
• Thrives in ambiguity, does not need all information to navigate effectively
• Humble yet confident, able to put the growth of the company/team/brands first
• Able to course correct to feedback and demonstrate agility within a dynamic environment
• Possess a “can do” attitude and believes anything is possible with the right focus.
• Able to work independently and “roll up your sleeves” to make things happen.
• High intensity team player who thrives in a fast paced, high intensity, dynamic environment.
• Constantly questions the way things are done in a constructive manner and thrives on change that improves results.
• Open (no agendas), honest and trustworthy.
• Effective leadership and strategic influencing skills.
• Results oriented individual with a desire to manage change through to fruition.
• Demonstrated ability to work across functions, business units and geographies – a strong background in a matrix organization is beneficial.
• Effective business systems thinker and a good understanding of business process knowledge.
• Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with others in a diverse environment.
• Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects at one time.
• Strong stakeholder management focus.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Proficient with personal computers and business applications.
If this sounds like the position for you, email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.