Roche Wines is seeking to hire an enthusiastic and dedicated Vineyard Manager. We strive to produce exceptional wines through careful, hands-on farming using organic practices.
Roche Wines is an artisanal-scale, family-run winery located on the Naramata Bench. With deep roots in grapegrowing and winemaking tradition in France, we are motivated to showcase the full potential of Okanagan terroir.
The Vineyard Manager is responsible for the hands-on farming of 21 acres of vinifera grapevines on 2 sites near Penticton. The role includes:
• Planning and execution of vineyard operations from pruning to harvest, in close cooperation with the winemaking team, to achieve premium quality and balanced yields
• Hiring and leading a small team of seasonal workers, implementing safety standards
• Operation and maintenance of tractors and vineyard equipment
• Irrigation, weed and pest control, nutrient inputs, canopy management
• Detailed record keeping for vineyard operations, inputs, staff timetable, budget
• Coordination of harvest logistics, pickers
• Vineyard infrastructure maintenance – post/trellis/fencing/irrigation
• Winery/cellar/bottling operations
• Appropriate diploma in Viticulture
• 4 or more years experience in a comparable role
• Strong communication skills in English. Proficiency in Spanish and/or French is an asset.
• Capacity for sustained physical tasks, outdoors in all seasons and in varying weather conditions
• Class 5 Driver’s Licence
The ideal candidate will have:
• Experience in organic and/or biodynamic viticulture
• Some experience with winemaking and cellar operations
• Basic First Aid certificate
• Forklift operator’s permit
• Experience driving a trailer
• Mechanical aptitude
This is a leadership role for an independent person who is motivated to be an important part of our small team, united by our passion for creating authentic wines through responsible farming.