Quails’ Gate Winery is nestled in the beautiful Okanagan Valley in the southern interior of British Columbia. Our 125+ acre estate winery, located on the shores of Lake Okanagan, is owned and operated by the Stewart Family, pioneering horticulturists since the turn of the 20th century.
We are seeking an experienced Cellar Technician, to contribute to all facets of Cellar operations. The successful candidate will have excellent leadership and communication skills, must be able to work as a collaborative team member, as well as have the ability to work independently. She/he will be a keen multi-tasker who can thrive in a busy work environment while ensuring high quality and standards are continually met.
This position will be responsible for:
• Active involvement in the execution of cellar operation in order to reinforce standard operating procedures, cellar fundamentals and accurate record keeping.
• Cellar operations include: performing vintage related tasks, tanker operations, sanitization of tanks/equipment, transfers, rackings and ingredient additions, pump overs/punch downs, monitoring of fermentation, operating pumps, filters and crush/press equipment, barrel maintenance and bottling line preparation/operation.
• Maintenance of winery’s high standards of upkeep and hygiene.
• Record maintenance including the recording of all winery activities, lab records from analysis, cellar operations worksheets and equipment logs.
• Assisting with stock takes as required
The requirements for this job are as follows:
• Chemistry or winery background (minimum 2 years)
• Knowledge of wine cellar operating procedures/equipment
• Knowledge of safe cellar practice (confined space, ladders and elevated space procedures)
• Fork Lift license
• Team player, physically fit (able to lift up to 50 lbs) good work ethic
• Computer literate – familiar with MS Office Suite
• Ability to understand an perform basic math
• A degree in wine science would be an asset but not necessary