The Assistant Winemaker is responsible for maintaining the production schedule, work order generation and completion, supervising crush operations, fermentation management, and harvest/bottling logistics. This position is responsible for the coordination and record keeping of all experimental research and sensory aspects of winemaking and viticulture trials, with support of our vineyard management company and the Domaine Serene Winemaking Team. Focused attention on research, development, and implementation of winery and vineyard improvement programs and operations. If your goal is to work in a state-of-the-art winery with a world-class winemaking team this is an ideal opportunity for you.
Core Position Expectations:
• Supervise all aspects of cellar operations including red grape processing, fermentation, élevage, stabilization, blending and bottling preparation
• Manage work order generation and completion in Vintrace
• Coordinate daily work schedule and organization of workflow to meet time sensitive production schedule.
• Participate in sensory evaluation and blending with Winemaking Team.
• Preparation of technical data sheet information for sales and marketing teams.
• Assist in compiling data for monthly government reporting.
• Support in packaging organizational needs including quality assurance of bottling operations.
• Participation in operational and capital expense budgets.
• Conduct and document enological and viticulture research throughout the year.
• Develop and manage operational and qualitative standards for all of Domaine Serene’s Estate Vineyards.
• Develop block-by-block assessments and suggestions for improvements for all estate vineyards.
• Organize and conduct blind sensory panels quarterly to evaluate all experimental wines. Collect, record, and archive all results.
• Organize comparative tastings to evaluate wines within our categories and identify emerging trends and/or styles.
• Lead collection and organization of accurate records of all data tracking of experiments and prepare reports and presentations with the ability to present relevant results.
• Develop and upkeep database of wine tasting notes, from barrel samples to library wines. Recommend emerging technologies and independently pursue increased efficiencies in Viticulture, Winemaking, and Quality Control and Assurance.
• Provide support with new developments and special projects.
• Assist with research into waste reduction and increased sustainability in all production aspects.
• Represent Domaine Serene at public events.
• Ability to travel to Château de la Crée in Burgundy at minimum once per year.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Thorough working knowledge of quality winemaking processes, operations and equipment.
• Dedication to continuous improvement regarding wine quality and process innovations
• Highly developed sensory skills regarding wine quality, style, and wine faults.
• Understanding of viticulture implications and influences on wine quality.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to draft reports, business correspondence, procedures and proposals in a highly effective and efficient manner.
• Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail. Ability to multi-task and adjust priorities to meet deadlines.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build and maintain relationships at all levels inside and outside of the organization.
• Ability to work independently and within a team.
• Ability to operate in a fast paced, evolving, and dynamic environment.
• Strong customer service skills with the ability to work successfully with cross-functional teams.
• Positive attitude and self-motivated.
• Bachelor’s degree in Enology, Viticulture, or related Science.
• 4+ years enology and viticulture full time experience.
• Pinot Noir and sparkling wine experience a plus.
• Successful track record of making high quality wines at an established winery.
• Proficient in all Microsoft Office applications, with emphasis on Excel and PowerPoint.
• Experience with Vintrace a plus.
• Able to work outdoors in various weather conditions.
• Able to work extended hours during harvest and provide support during peak production periods.
• Ability to speak Spanish or French a plus.
• Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
• Valid driver’s license, a valid passport, and reliable transportation.
• Ability to travel internationally.
The compensation package is competitive and includes bonus potential. Additional benefits include health, dental and vision care, a 401K program with employer match, term life insurance, 15 days personal time off and 10 paid holidays.
Send resume with cover letter.
Create a Job Alert
Receive an email alert when similar new jobs are posted. It's free, fast and easy.