NexTerra Wine Company is a premier wine producer built on the belief that great wine begins in the vineyard. Headquartered just outside of Chicago, the 125,000-square-foot facility houses an onsite winery, state of the art bottling system and distribution center. Partnering with distinguished growers across the globe, NexTerra sources the highest quality grapes and nurtures each wine to its individual needs—a philosophy that has resulted in over 600 national and international wine awards. With deep industry knowledge, boundless creativity, and advanced winemaking techniques, NexTerra has grown to one of the largest U.S. producers outside of California projecting over 1.1 million cases produced in 2023, and a growing keg program of over 170,000 gallons worth of kegs.
The Cellar Master reports to the Director of Winemaking. This position manages the day-to-day supervision of the Cellar, prioritizing work schedules for timely and accurate completion of all Cellar activities. This position also leads the training and development of the Cellar team members, which is critical to the team’s success.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Manage and train Cellar team members on the cleaning and sanitation of all winery equipment and surfaces.
• Supervise and train team on all Cellar wine processes. Perform Cellar work as needed. Monitor and support team on daily work being performed.
• Schedule shifts, approve time off requests, lead the hiring process, and write and communicate disciplinary actions for Cellar team members.
• Coordinate daily work planning with Winemaking, Lab, and Winery Admin teams.
• Communicate work process overview and detail to Cellar team members. Receive, review, and assign new work orders issued to Cellar. Facilitate communication of work
priorities and progress between Winemaking, Cellar, Lab, and Bottling teams.
• Assure work orders are performed correctly and completely. Review completed work orders for accuracy and legibility. Communicate any issues or discrepancies to the
Winemaking team immediately.
• Manage communication with Facilities and Maintenance departments for Cellar and plant equipment PM and repair needs.
• Manage inventory and ordering of cleaning chemicals, production gases, equipment parts, and misc. Cellar supplies.
• Consult with Winemaking and Operations teams for winery infrastructure and equipment expansion needs. Research and recommend new equipment and processes.
Coordinate training and use of new processing equipment.
• Manage and own the review, development, writing, and implementation of new and current Cellar SOP’s.
• Manage Cellar safety training and adherence to safety policy.
• Manage the removal of winery waste products from the premises.
• Minimum of 5 years relevant food or beverage production experience, ideally in the beverage alcohol sector.
• Minimum of 3 years supervisory experience with strong and successful team building skills.
• Strict adherence to safety and sanitation guidelines.
• Experience working with beverage processing equipment.
• Full-time availability (Monday through Friday).
• Ability to lift 50lbs.
• Ability to stand, bend, squat, push, pull, and work at heights for 10 hours a day.
• Forklift experience is a must. Forklift trainer experience a plus.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Bilingual in Spanish a plus.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Flexible to schedule changes at any time.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and personnel needs.
• Manage the Cellar staff consisting of Cellar I, Cellar II, and Cellar Lead team members.
• Lead the hiring and management of Cellar team members.
• Responsible for organizing the training plan for all new hires and ensuring they are trained correctly and meet each step.
• Organize and maintain skills development check list for all team members. Ensure continued development of team members.
• Responsible for coaching, counseling, and performance reviews of Cellar personnel.
• Cultivate environment of safety, quality, and continuous improvement.
Physical Job Functions:
• Must be able to lift at least 50 lbs frequently.
• Must be able to stand for 10 hours.
• Must be able to climb ladders.
• Must be able to climb and work at heights.
NexTerra is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Create a Job Alert
Receive an email alert when similar new jobs are posted. It's free, fast and easy.