This is a rare opportunity to join the management team at one of Oregon’s most historic wineries. We are in search of a Vineyard Manager. This individual will play a vital role in leading our vineyard team in the cultivation and stewardship of 8 estate vineyards across 173 acres in the Chehalem Mountains. We have an amazing vineyard team with several members having over 25 years dedicated to Adelsheim! This role is responsible for the daily operations and long-term planning of our viticulture program and works closely with our Winemaker and CEO.
Adelsheim Vineyard was established in 1971 with an optimistic spirit and lofty dream: to create world-class wines in an undiscovered wine region. As a founding winery of the Willamette Valley and Chehalem Mountains’ first winery, Adelsheim has played an instrumental role in nearly every aspect of the Oregon wine story. As industry leaders, we believe it is our duty to be steadfast stewards of this abundant land and to rally our community in support of equity and education. It is an exciting time here as we look to the future that is paved with a focus on sustainability initiatives, innovation, and creativity. Adelsheim is proudly women-led and owned and a LIVE certified sustainable winery. While our legacy may be over 50 years, we are just getting started.
Office located in Newberg, Oregon and vineyards across the Northern Willamette Valley
JOIN OUR TEAM! WHAT WE OFFER:
• Professional Support: We have a management team to support the efforts and needs of the business and support every position.
• Full-Time employees are extended a comprehensive health, wellness, PTO, and 401k package. Adelsheim covers 100% of the employees’ health insurance premiums.
• Generous wine education program to learn about Adelsheim wines and for your pure enjoyment. You are allotted $750 per year for our wines.
• Continued training and education as well as financial support towards educational advancement, such as WSET. We also hold in-house educational seminars designed to reinforce necessary skillsets.
• Competitive pay rates commensurate with experience.
• The compensation package for our management team includes a 10% bonus program in addition to a base salary. This bonus is tied to key performance indicators.
• Work in a gorgeous wine country! Envision coming to work surrounded by nature’s beauty.
REPORTS TO: CEO/President
• Steward 8 different vineyards totaling 173 acres
• Manage 9 in-house employees daily
• Develop budget and track expenses against budget
• Biweekly payroll for direct reports
• Maintain accurate vineyard records in vineyard database
• Plan and organize all ongoing labor and equipment activities according to company specs and priorities (spraying, pruning, suckering, irrigation, etc.)
• Record keeping for certification programs
• Apply for and manage grants
• Manage H2A program contracts
• Manage crop insurance and frost protection program
• Collaborate with vineyard crew to implement practices that improve efficiency, grape quality and increase yields
• Keep barns and work sites clean and organized
• Participate doing critical jobs as time permits, for example: Irrigating or repairing irrigation
• Operating or repairing equipment
• Special projects
Harvest - Manage all harvest activities including but not limited to:
• Staging equipment (tractors, bins), moving bathrooms
• Supervising crew, loading truck and hauling fruit
• Quality control during harvest (no leaves, rot, etc.)
• Fleet Management Plan and organize to keep tractors moving efficiently
• Move or schedule moving equipment to job sites
• Keep vehicles, tools, and equipment in proper working order including managing maintenance
• Follow all OSHA and DPR safety and all other regulations
• Conduct and document safety trainings for vineyard employees
• Create a culture of safety, including monitoring and constructively correcting unsafe practices
• Represent Adelsheim as needed with local trade organizations and charitable events
• Provide vineyard crew with opportunities for technical, professional, and personal growth
Winery (as time and schedule permits):
• Assist with duties related to different aspects of the business (i.e., help set up and clean up events, transporting barrels, moving cases of wine, etc.)
• Help manage winery physical plant including making small repairs for winery building and equipment Utilize vineyard crew to maintain winery landscaping
• Assist with wine production efforts such as barrel and tank moving, bottling, and tasting as part of education and teamwork initiatives.
• Participate in sales and marketing as needed, including special events, hosting VIPs, trade shows, online tastings
Able to effectively lead and function as part of a team
Able to communicate effectively with direct reports, coworkers, customers, vendors, and neighbors
Attention to detail and safety
Ability to work outside normal hours
Knowledge of all aspects of grape growing
B.S or Associate degree in Viticulture or closely related field preferred
5 or more years of related experience
Specific interest and experience in sustainable and organic farming
Valid Oregon Driver License and driving record in good standing
Experience with hauling equipment, forklift operation, and physical tasks
REACH OUT TO US!
If you are looking for a fulfilling career in the Oregon wine industry, we encourage you to explore this opportunity. At Adelsheim Vineyard, we are dedicated to building an inclusive environment with a culture of belonging. We celebrate the value that comes with inclusivity and different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives, which all help foster a culture of collaboration and creativity within the industry.
Create a Job Alert
Receive an email alert when similar new jobs are posted. It's free, fast and easy.