The Vineyard Equipment Technician ensures that all winery and vineyard equipment and tools are in a good and safe working condition to make classic wines. The Vineyard Equipment Technician insists on quality in workmanship. This individual has a strong understanding of the principles of winemaking and viticulture that guide Opus One and how to implement and manage them in a safe, practical, and efficient manner. The Vineyard Equipment Technician works with Assistant Winemaker/ Viticulturist & other members of the vineyard team to allocate work and to coordinate equipment and supplies for specific jobs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to the following:
• Performs all vineyard and winery maintenance, including basic electrical work, welding, basic plumbing, and pipe fitting, motor and machine repair and basic fabrication, including heavy physical labor.
• Responsible for preventative maintenance on all vineyard and winery equipment. If any damage or malfunction is found, repairs are to be made in a timely manner and longer repairs are scheduled through supervisor.
• Makes needed repairs on portable equipment and assists in major repairs to allow work to proceed.
• Collaborates with the Assistant Winemaker/ Viticulturist, Director of Viticulture & Facility Mechanic on coordinating all vineyard mechanical activities, ensuring timely planning, preparation, and completion of all operations.
• Applies their deep understanding of oils and lubricants and their impact on the longevity of motors and equipment.
• Read, understand and follow machine blueprints in English/Spanish.
• Assist Skilled and Production Mechanics in troubleshooting and repairing equipment.
• Assist with painting jobs.
• Set-up and use the following types of welding equipment:
o Arc (stick, MIG, TIG)
• Respond to emergency calls outside of work hours & rotate on-call as needed.
• Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with the vineyard team and other department team members.
• Promotes and upholds the safety standards of Opus One.
• Drive Company or personal vehicle to pick-up and deliver parts and supplies.
• Drive forklift to move supplies and equipment.
• Assist in the implementation and completion of all assigned cultural operations.
• Work within your area of expertise, knowing when to ask for help.
• Work toward maintaining and improving assigned work areas.
• Maintain equipment and tools that you use to insure proper working order at all time (PM’s).
• Do cleanup in assigned areas and in areas where currently working.
• Supply necessary hand tools to vineyard crew and facilities team.
• Frost control support.
• 3 years’ experience and/or vocational training in machine blueprint reading and repair, oxyacetylene arc and stainless-steel welding and plumbing/pipe fitting.
• 3 years general and/or vocational training in one of the following areas: refrigeration; machining/tool and die making; concrete work; carpentry; equipment operation; advanced sheet metal work and welding; advanced electrical; or painting and coating.
• Must have experience in the operation of vineyard equipment and tools, including pump stations and irrigation systems.
• Proficient in one of the following advanced skills: machining/tool and die making; concrete work; carpentry; equipment operation and repair; advanced sheet metal work and welding; advanced electrical; or painting and coating.
• Experience with MS Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Microsoft Teams)
• Must be able to read, understand, and follow machine blueprints.
• Excellent follow-through and project assignment skills and the ability to work well with people at all levels at Opus One
• Able to prioritize and organize, meet deadlines with accuracy, work independently, and understand basic fiscal management.
• Must have a valid Driver’s License.
• Must be at least 21 years of age.
• Forklift certified.
• Must be bilingual in English and Spanish and be literate in both verbal and written communication.
Physical ability to perform tasks that may require prolonged standing, sitting, lifting, and other activities necessary to perform essential job functions, with or without reasonable accommodation.
Working Conditions/ Hazards:
Work is performed in various environments: indoor, outdoor, hot, cold. The individual will be exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, toxic chemicals, electrical hazards, and fumes or airborne particles relative to normal Vineyard processes. Occasionally works near moving machinery parts. Noise levels are usually moderate to loud. Must be able to lift 50 lbs. or heavier.
OUR DEDICATION TO YOU
• Competitive benefits package including 95% employer paid Medical, with 100% employer paid Dental/ Vision/ basic life coverage/ STD/ LTD for both employees and dependents.
• 401(k) retirement plan with a 7% employer-only contribution, based on employee annual earnings.
• Work life balance
• Wellness reimbursement
• Tuition reimbursement opportunities
• Up to 40 hours of volunteer time
• PTO; Holiday Pay
• A supportive and collaborative work environment
SUSTAINABILITY: Opus One Winery is committed to doing its part to ensure a sustainable future and improve the environmental well-being of our community. We will continue to ensure minimal impact by continually evaluating our environmental performance and working to improve our program whenever necessary with integrity and purity of focus.
COMPENSATION: Base Compensation Range: $30.00-$38.00 USD hourly*
Please see our careers page to view comprehensive job description.
Create a Job Alert
Receive an email alert when similar new jobs are posted. It's free, fast and easy.