POSITON: Assistant Viticulturist/ Viticulturist
REPORTS TO: Estate Vineyard Manager
STATUS: Full Time
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Routine inspection and reporting of viticultural practices and grapevine phenology on estate vineyards
o Indicate maturity development, report unusual conditions, monitor for pest and disease problems making recommendations, recognize and report water stress, observe general crop size
• Regularly work with Estate Vineyard Manager and Vino Farms to maximize wine quality by focusing on the following:
o Pruning practices that promote vine balance
o Shoot thinning and leaf pulling practices per RSV standards
o Irrigation scouting and monitoring that is appropriate for the variety
o Cluster thinning where necessary
o Data collection and reporting as it relates to the above practices, both verbally and using RSV’s scouting program, yield estimates, etc
o Quality control monitoring of crew work being implemented on estate ranches
• Assist Estate Vineyard Manager with viticulture databases, such as updating spreadsheets and scouting program
• Monitoring and reporting of mitigation projects. Basic knowledge of native trees/shrubs desirable
• Potentially make one or two trips to the central coast per year to scout for the Grower relations Manger
• Accompany the Estate Vineyard Manager on vineyard visits, taking notes and transcribing upon return
• Assist in map creations for special projects
• Operation of the Scalehouse and coordination with Winemaker on fruit receival
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
• Degree in Viticulture or related field plus 3+ year’s vineyard experience
• Strong organizational and communication skills
• Competent math skills and ability to sometimes operate in a fast paced environment
• Dependable in performance and attendance
• Ability to work independently
• Must have valid California driver’s license and clean driving record
• Working knowledge of general safety procedures
• Must be able to work flexible schedule; weekends and overtime during busy seasons
• Knowledge of industry certification programs like Fish Friendly Farming and CSWA
• Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word, Google Earth
• Familiarity of FarmQA, AgCode and Innovint a plus.
• Bilingual a plus
• Must be a team player
• Able to repetitively lift or carry up to 40 pounds for short periods of time.
• Able to work outdoors in variable weather conditions.
• Must be able to hike uneven terrain in hillside vineyards.
• This position requires extensive travel by driving, primarily within Sonoma County.
• Must be able to competently operate a four wheel drive vehicle on off road terrain.
• Must be able to competently operate an ATV, as well as load and unload an ATV to and from a 4 wheel drive truck and/or a trailer.
• Must successfully complete post-offer pre-employment drug/alcohol testing.
Benefits and Provisions:
• Pay range of , DOE
• Salary depends on experience and qualifications.
• Company vehicle provided.
• Company phone, laptop computer or adequate stipend provided.
• Medical and Life Insurance provided and Dental Insurance available to purchase.
• 401K with company match available.
• Paid vacation
Create a Job Alert
Receive an email alert when similar new jobs are posted. It's free, fast and easy.