JOB TITLE: Assistant Tasting Room & Special Events Manager
DEPARTMENT: Tasting Room
REPORTS TO: Retail & Hospitality Manager
Born from our founder’s deep connection to the exploration of wines through his travels around the world, along with the undeniable draw of the inspirational spirit of Napa Valley – Sequoia Grove Winery has always centered itself around people, place, and history. Our past, present, and future are built upon a community of people who relentlessly and tirelessly pour themselves into crafting wines that not only tell a story of place, but are destined to attempt life’s greatest pleasure: enriching the lives of those we are able to share them with.
Sequoia Grove Winery crafts an array of balanced and complex Cabernet Sauvignon that showcase the Napa Valley as well as the diversity of the single vineyards from which our wines are born. Each bottle is a signature of the land, the people, and the history poured into it.
The Assistant Tasting Room and Special Events Manager is a dynamic position for the talented candidate who possesses a gracious demeanor along with the ability to motivate, educate, and inspire others to perform at the highest level. The role will collaborate closely with the Retail & Hospitality Manager regarding the oversight of the tasting room staff as well as hold responsibility for coordinating all activities involved in the booking, planning and implementation of events. This will include corporate, trade, private, and winery events. A significant portion of time will be dedicated to working on the tasting room floor with the staff while balancing the responsibilities for event sales and execution. Weekends are required, though the schedule may vary slightly in order to ensure coverage for special events.
While these descriptions are not intended to detail every responsibility, they are useful as a general guide to what duties and qualifications are required to function effectively in this position.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS – Assistant Tasting Room Manager
• Meet or exceed Tasting Room annual financial objectives along with wine club acquisition KPI’s.
• Meet regularly with Retail & Hospitality Manager to discuss sales goals, team KPI’s, and collaborate in leading the team to greater success.
• Supervise and continuously train retail staff in communicating the compelling winery story as well as delivering our high hospitality standards while ensuring goals are achieved.
• Maintain team adherence to SOPs regarding wine shipping, compliance, data collection, and order entry requirements.
• Assist DTC Director, Retail & Hospitality Manager, and Executive Chef in creating and implementing new experiences as needed.
• Keep an accurate weekly wine inventory by location.
• Communicate with Wine Club Manager regarding membership initiatives and activities.
• Make/maintain industry contacts-represent the winery to the local wine community with involvement in regional wine marketing groups as well as local hospitality industry, concierge, chamber of commerce, etc.
• Create monthly schedule for the Tasting Room staff.
• Supervise and participate in consumer and trade tours.
• Assist with inbound and outbound hospitality communications either by phone or email as needed.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS – Special Events Manager
• Develop and grow annual event sales and profitability.
• Collaborate with Retail & Hospitality Manager to develop annual event budget and financial goals.
• Generate leads and create a network of partnerships with DMC’s, Chauffers, Hotels, and other events related companies to increase group and event sales to meet or exceed budget.
• Conduct outreach by phone and in person to foster relationships and strengthen partnerships with events related companies.
• Manage the Concierge inbox and Ringcentral voicemailbox to respond to and book event inquiries in a polite, approachable, and timely fashion. Tactfully vet and screen potential clients to meet permit requirements and business needs.
• Work closely with Executive Chef, Wine & Food, and Hospitality Team to book and manage events, finalize menus, and organize their events calendar.
• Plan and execute Wine Club functions and special events (Winemaker Dinners, release events, pick-up events etc.) in coordination with Wine Club Manager
• Ensure that event-set up of chairs, tables, decorations or other equipment is in accordance with client needs and winery parameters.
• Other duties as assigned by manager.
• 5+ years of Winery hospitality experience
• Demonstrated experience in managing and coaching staff.
• Track record of successful event sales, planning and execution
• Minimum High School diploma; College preferred.
• Professional wine certification (e.g., CSW, WSET, etc.) or experience equivalent preferred.
• Excellent written and presentation skills
• Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suites, Commerce7, and Navision
• Must be able to lift and carry 45lbs (case of wine)
• Able to stand for long periods of time.
• Must have knowledge of Napa Valley history, winemaking and viticulture.
• Must have a valid California Driver’s License, a clean driving record and proof of auto insurance.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to possess ambulatory skills sufficient to stand and walk for extended periods of time. Must also repetitively lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
SEQUOIA GROVE WINERY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, COMMITTED TO A DIVERSE AND INCLUSIVE WORK ENVIRONMENT. (EOE M/V/F/D)
Create a Job Alert
Receive an email alert when similar new jobs are posted. It's free, fast and easy.