The Assistant Wine Director (AWD)) will work closely with the Owner to drive wine sales and educate staff and our loyal clientele on wine. Table service is a major component of this role. Though several daily, monthly, and quarterly responsibilities accompany this role, the position does participate fully in the tip scheme of the restaurant. This person will create and grow Beso Bar & Bottle wine club and liaison with chefs, winemakers, and educators to produce public and private, coursed and block party-style events. There will be monthly tasting parties for wine club members that you must plan and execute. The AWD will taste with distributors and have a hands-on role in influencing the wines for purchase in the shop and on the lists. The AWD will organize weekly Friday night tastings and plan monthly staff trips to visit local wineries for educational purposes. You will be asked to help create content for social media.
To make this happen, the AWD must be detail oriented, flexible, patient, organized, and have a moderate to high degree of wine knowledge. Service experience is not a must (we can teach this), but being personable is required! You will be proficient in your time management and succeed if you are industrious, focused, and have a strong self-starter mentality. You will gain a lot of experience in small business management, as there are many, many hats to wear. The candidate will maintain autonomy in your role and responsibilities, and be calm and collected in your guest communication.
In working at Beso Bar & Bottle, you acknowledge that we are entering our third year of business and slowly, but surely, finding our footing. Our mission is to present fine wine in an approachable, unpretentious way, even quietly helping to define what fine wine really is in 2023. We want the right candidate to influence our wine choices with their own life experience and help tell the Beso story of our love and passion for great food and wine. Our space is a social gathering spot for the community and our loyal and growing clientele rely on us to deliver a refined, dynamic, and delightful experience.
- Act as a Beso Ambassador when on the floor;
- Keep BTG and Bottle lists up to date (formatting of physical menus, updating POS keys);
- Drive Wine Club sales;
- Maintain Wine Club member lists, record monthly packs, review payments, process new members;
- Draft monthly Wine Club newsletter;
- Draft monthly Events newsletter;
- Plan & Execute Wine Club monthly pick up parties in conjunction with our Events Coordinator;
- Maintain guest winemaker/wine person for Friday Night Flights;
- Act as liaison between Beso and chefs, winemakers, influencers in planning special events;
- Initiate Beso-led educational events and classes (not necessarily to lead events/classes themselves);
- Maintain updated inventory in our online catalogue;
- Manage wine deliveries, entering invoices, price increases/decreases, shelving wines;
- Collaborate with Social Media Manager on content;
- Keep bar and inventory zones clean and organized;
- Maintain inventory of branded packaging for wine and food (paper products are stamped and stocked);
- Sell physical gift cards
Skills, Knowledge, Qualifications and Experience:
- Sense of dedication and integrity;
- Professional demeanor and appearance;
- Awareness for the job and your surroundings;
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced environment;
- A good listener and open to constructive feedback;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Ability to set and meet strict deadlines;
- The ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing;
- Must be at least 21 years of age;
- Weekend availability;
- WSET and/or CMS education a plus; **tuition assistance in course certification is an option**
You will work on-site with the opportunity to eventually work up to one quarter of your time remotely.
A note on equal opportunity:
100 Days (dba Beso Bar & Bottle) is committed to a diverse working environment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We are also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Compensation commensurate with experience.
Create a Job Alert
Receive an email alert when similar new jobs are posted. It's free, fast and easy.