A well-established Central California Winery is seeking a seasoned multi-tasker with the ability to accurately work in a fast-paced, rapidly growing environment. The Controller will support the accounting, finance, and human resources functions at the winery. The position is located in beautiful Central California Wine Country.
The position supports the daily operation of general ledger and production accounting activities for operations, including payroll, general ledger month end closing process, account reconciliations and reporting, bulk wine, custom crush, private label, and case good costing; product inventory and balance sheets, inventory control, fixed asset/CIP reporting and analysis, AP/AR, cash management, state, and ensures compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Practices (GAAP). Position will be responsible for the preparation of accurate and timely monthly Financial Statements and consolidated monthly cash flow statements. The position will support the Ownership, and specific winery department managers, in the planning and budgeting process, monthly reporting, annual preparation, monthly management of budget, and quarterly/annual costing and tax preparation with the company’s CPA partner. Understanding of TTB and ABC compliance and regulations.
Essential job functions
• Manages financial data and ensures data integrity and accuracy.
• Prepares bi-monthly payroll for employees, ensuring accuracy of payroll input and timely transmission for paycheck processing, handling payroll as a top priority. Respond to payroll related questions from managers and employees and investigate and resolve paycheck and PTO issues and discrepancies.
• General Human Resource management including employee relations, current labor laws, employee benefits, Workers’ Comp management, 401k activity, management of employee files, and payroll for a 50-employee base.
• Compiles and analyzes financial information to prepare journal entries and generate financial statements.
• Balances sheet reconciliations and analysis.
• Reconciliation of bank accounts.
• Management of the fixed asset process and policy, including capital expenditure authorization and spending tracking.
• Review and assist with identifying and coding unallowable expenses.
• Provides data and serves as a resource for external financial and tax audit examination processes, including assisting with the preparation of audited financial statements.
• Management of the Sales and Use Tax accounting and reporting process.
• Set up and maintain accounting system chart of account and vendor master files.
• Conducts monthly closings, journal entries, account reconciliations, year-end closing, and preparation of audit work papers at year end.
• Bachelor’s Degree in accounting and/or finance strongly preferred.
• 5+ years progressive accounting experience within a winery or hospitality environment.
• General Accounting software expertise.
• Demonstrate advanced proficiency in QuickBooks.
• 3 to 5 years of Human Resource management.
• Must have a commitment to excellence, high standards and confidentiality.
• Possess credibility and an ethical, full-disclosure, and clean financial history.
• Highly accurate, organized, and detail oriented, with strong multi-tasking and time management skills.
• Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills, including ability to articulate recommendations in a concise and timely manner to internal team and external partners.
• Must have a strong working knowledge of GAAP, and strong quantitative and analytical thinking skills.
• Demonstrated knowledge of payroll and time keeping software. Paychex a plus.
• High precision in work and attention to details.
• Ability to prioritize workload, work as part of a team as well as independently and take ownership of projects.
• Ability to work effectively in a cross-functional environment.
• Strong leadership, management, and interpersonal skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Creative and flexible and able to drive/guide change.
• Ability to work under pressure while maintaining both perspective and a positive attitude.
Please submit a resume for consideration. Send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please, no third-party unsolicited resume submissions.
The Winery is an equal opportunity employer. EOE.
Job Type: Full-time
• 401(k) matching
• Dental insurance
• Standard work schedule
• Health insurance
• Paid time off / Regular Vacation and Holidays
• Vision insurance
• Re-Location Allowance TBD
Create a Job Alert
Receive an email alert when similar new jobs are posted. It's free, fast and easy.