We are a family estate vineyard & organically farmed ranch producing rare & fine Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay.
The cellar worker role is a full-time position and will report directly to the assistant winemaker with direct interaction with ownership, consulting winemaker, and vineyard management company. The employee will exhibit dedication to the production of the finest wines and will undertake winemaking, vineyard, technical, cellar, laboratory support. They will exhibit dedication to the production of the finest wines and will work together with the owner and any ancillary vineyard and winemaking teams to produce wines of distinction, and of an exceptionally high caliber.
St. Helena, California. Work at other off-site locations will be required periodically.
This position reports to and performs work under the assistant winemaker and will take direction at times from the owners, and consulting winemaker.
The employee’s primary duty is the performance of work directly related to winemaking activities. Additionally, the employee will occasionally assist the owners with general operational tasks on the ranch.
Key Position Responsibilities
• Perform all aspects of cellar activities, including but not limited to: equipment sanitation, fermentation management, racking, press operation, barrel maintenance, bottling
• Accurately complete all work orders while following agreed upon Standard Operating Procedures (‘SOPs’).
• Assist in monthly topping while adhering to SOPs
• Clean and sanitize all winery equipment
• Constantly maintain and improve winery and cave organization and cleanliness
• Assist technical tastings and well as tastings for trade/industry and consumers.
• Collate yield assessment and harvest maturity data – cluster counts, weights, brix, pH, etc.
• Participate in communication between consulting winemaker and vineyard management company; attend twice monthly vineyard team meetings
• Provide vineyard support as needed when time allows.
• Comply with all company policies and procedures and all applicable laws and regulations.
• Perform other duties as assigned and consistent with this job description.
Specific requirements include:
• Experience in wine production required.
• The qualified candidate will be well organized; detail oriented and possess strong analytical skills.
• The ability to work with others at all levels of the organization is required.
• The position requires the ability to stand for long periods of time, occasionally reach with hands and arms, occasionally sit, walk, climb, stoop, or kneel, as well as be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
Required skills include:
• Commitment to excellence, high standards and successful execution of ideas.
• Enthusiasm, passion, self-starter attitude, flexibility, a positive outlook, and a strong work ethic.
• Ability to work collaboratively in a small team environment.
• Knowledge of the winemaking process and winemaking techniques.
• Interest in improving skills in all areas of fine wine production.
• Ability to communicate proactively and precisely. Strong verbal, written and presentation skills.
Preferred job qualifications include:
• Spanish language skills a plus though not a requirement.
• Forklift experience a plus though not a requirement.