We are a premium winery located in St. Helena looking to hire 2-3 interns for the 2023 harvest. As part of a small crew, you will have the opportunity to be involved in all aspects of wine production. You will learn technical and sensory skills. Experience is preferred but we are willing to train.
This seasonal position will start in August and end in November. There is potential for one intern to start earlier.
Assist the cellar team with all day to day harvest operations, including receiving grapes, sanitizing tanks, hoses, pipelines, general cleaning, and any other winery related tasks. We are a team of well organized, positive, hard workers who focus on keeping quality at the highest level while being efficient in the process and thorough in our winemaking. Ideal candidates have prior harvest/cellar or manual labor experience involving consistent heavy lifting.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Set up equipment to receive and process grapes.
2. Assist in pressing both red and whites- including press loading, unloading, press cleaning.
3. Punch downs, pump overs, drains and dig outs.
4. Tank set up and clean up.
5. Barrel work including prepping, filling, topping and racking.
6. Yeast additions and nutrient additions.
7. Perform general housekeeping and cleaning tasks.
8. Clean and sanitize tanks, pumps, f -3 ittings and miscellaneous equipment.
9. Operate cleaning equipment and tools to clean cellar floors, walls, tank pads, outside and inside of tanks.
10. Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
1. Must be 18 years or older upon starting employment.
2. Must be able to work August through November, full time hours plus overtime (Looking for 1 applicant to start earlier)
3. 1- 2 years cellar experience
4. Mist be able to read, write, speak and understand instructions in English. Spanish speaking a plus.
5. Ability to multitask, work independently and with a team in a fast paced environment with emphasis on accuracy and timeliness.
6. Must be flexible with shift schedule.
7. Operation of basic hand tools.
8. Forklift skills a plus
9. Must have an excellent safety, work performance and attendance record.
10. Prioritize while able to adapt to changing priorities.
11. Demonstrate reliability and punctuality, work effectively in team/crew environment, adherence to all safety regulations and operating procedures.
1. Full body mobility: Ability to stand, walk, sit, use hand tools, reach and raise hands above the head, climb stairs, kneel, crouch, talk, hear and accurately taste and smell.
2. Ability to lift up to 60 pounds.
3. Hearing ability adequate to communicate with co-workers and customers.
4. Ability to work in dynamic range of temperatures and weather conditions.
5. Ability to work in and outdoors.
6. Can sustain extended periods of standing or walking on concrete floors.
7. Able to work irregular and variable hours and days.
8. Able to safely and effectively wear all types of safety and personal protective equipment.
9. Capable of safely and effectively operating a forklift.