Gary Farrell is an iconic brand with a 40-year history and roots stretching back to the very beginnings of cool-climate Pinot Noir and Chardonnay winegrowing in the Russian River Valley. Today, we carry on that tradition of innovation and excellence by offering wine lovers a vibrant collection of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay that includes masterfully made single-vineyard wines from renowned vineyards alongside beautifully composed regional blends, ready to be enjoyed with great friends and lively conversation. We invite you to join our talented and passionate team to deliver best-in-class consumer experiences at our beautiful Russian River Valley estate.
The Assistant Tasting Salon Manager oversees the daily operations of the winery Tasting Salon. This position assists the Tasting Salon Manager in hiring, training, supervising, and evaluating performance of hospitality staff, setting and maintaining daily operating tasks and procedures, and enforcing service standards and company policies. This role is vital in supervising and supporting the tasting salon team to deliver service excellence and achieve fiscal goals through sales of wine and wine club memberships. In a supervisory capacity, this role acts as a team leader, driving the team to attain monthly sales goals, provide gracious hospitality to all winery guests, and contribute to a rewarding work environment. Responsibilities include (but are not limited to) the following:
Tasting Salon Operations (50%)
• Under the guidance and direction of the Tasting Salon Manger, supervise daily hospitality operations and make decisions that drive the daily performance of the Tasting Salon in a positive and productive way
• Monitor and evaluate team responsibilities and performance, and determine changes in tasks as appropriate, ensuring proper hospitality and service is provided to all customers and that company procedures are followed
• Assist Tasting Salon Manager with development and tracking of Tasting Salon KPIs, guest visitation tracking and perform daily, weekly and monthly analysis and reporting of performance against target
• Assist with monthly Tasting Salon staff schedule
• Assist in leading daily morning meetings to ensure staff are aware of any news or updates and reservations are scheduled appropriately
• Guide Reservationists to coordinate daily Tasting Salon calendar and assign guest reservations to staff as needed. Continually update team with news changes to appointments
• Maintain tasting menus and all printed collateral needed for Tasting Salon staff to effectively perform their job duties
• Maintain cash register, and accounting of daily sales and bank deposits
• Ensure cleanliness and neatness in all guest-facing areas and report facilities maintenance issues in a timely manner for corrective action
• Assist with daily pour sample sheets to ensure inventory counts are complete and accurate
• As required, perform sales and service duties including greeting guests, conducting guided tours, educating about our wines, winemaking, brand history, and accolades and awards
• Actively promote the sale of wine and non-wine items including and most especially wine club memberships. Collect and maintain customer information for future sales and marketing efforts (e.g., name, phone number, email address, etc.). Complete purchase and refund transactions with accuracy
• Set up and break-down tastings including washing and polishing glassware
• Serve as winery representative during on- and off-site events and promotional functions on occasion as needed
• Maintain thorough knowledge of the winery and brand messaging, and be able to communicate wine tasting options, membership programs, and other consumer/trade info.
• Develop strategies to meet monthly visitation goals
• Update and maintain winery calendar ensuring accuracy being communicated across departments
• Assist with scheduling and execution of onsite events
• Hands-on supervision of a small, dynamic tasting salon sales team, leading by example to drive effective outcomes relating to sales and guest service
• Motivate Ambassador team to meet daily sales and sign-up goals
• Foster positive teamwork and camaraderie amongst the staff to achieve collective and individual goals
• Be the escalation point for guests and staff, and respond thoughtfully with care, empathy, and a sense of urgency
• Exhibit sound disciplinary and decision-making authority in absence of Tasting Salon Manager; will regularly assume “Manager on Duty” responsibility
• Collaborate with management to achieve fiscal goals and performance metrics by developing innovative ways to drive sales, club signups, customer satisfaction, and COGS management
• Support Tasting Salon Manager to implement policy and procedure and make suggestions for process and performance improvement
• Assist management in hiring, orientation, scheduling, training, supervising, and evaluating Tasting Salon staff
• Exhibit disciplinary and decision-making authority in absence of Tasting Salon Manager
• Provide performance insights to Tasting Salon Manager on an ongoing basis
• Act as Brand Ambassador for Gary Farrell Winery brand and wines
• At least 2 years related supervisory experience in hospitality, retail, or customer service. Winery experience preferred.
• Demonstrated experience fostering high morale and goal achievement. Self-motivated and team oriented.
• Strong hospitality skills and customer experience focus; preferred approach is one of “white glove” service balanced with down-to-earth, gracious hospitality.
• Proficiency in POS/CRM systems and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
• Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds, work in a standing and/or walking position for long periods of time.
• Ability to effectively stock wine and non-wine merchandise, set-up and break down structures, tables, etc.