The Viticulture Intern provides "hands-on" help to the viticulture/wine growing team. Tasks consist primarily of collecting data and reporting. The position will also collaborate with the operation team and the winemaking team (lab). The Viticulture Intern must be motivated to develop his/her knowledge of viticulture practices and demonstrates the necessary interpersonal skills to interact effectively with others.
• Performs maturity sampling on individual blocks (cluster and berry sampling)
• Performs tissue sampling (leaves, petioles) for nutritional need assessments
• Performs cluster counts/weights as requested for the crop estimation reporting
• Learns and performs field scouting (pest, diseases, nutrition symptoms)
• Learns and participates in the operations performance tracking for critical jobs (such as shoot selection, crop thinning, and harvest)
• Participates in other data collection as requested
• Participates and helps to coordinate specific field work as needed (e.g. receiving and sorting of new vines, maintenance, tagging)
• Participates in season projects such as water constraint assessments, irrigation system distribution uniformity, soil mapping
• Interns are expected to share early and consistently their learning expectations and progress in order to optimize their internship experience and to become effective team players
*Other duties may be assigned
Education and Experience
• Bachelor of Science degree in Viticulture, Enology, Food Science, or Related Field preferred
• No previous experience is required for this internship position; familiarity with viticulture field work and wine industry basics is preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Demonstrate appropriate initiative, problem solving and "can do" attitude
• Ability to utilize tools and equipment used in agriculture and lab (see working conditions)
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
• Attention to detail and ability to follow procedures
• Ability to maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties which may include walking, standing, sitting and twisting to reach materials or equipment, stooping, kneeling or bending for extended periods of time, traversing uneven terrain, and operating assigned equipment
• Ability to maintain audio visual discrimination and perception needed for making observations
• Ability to lift and/or move up to 35 pounds
• Ability to operate company assigned vehicle in a safe manner
• Must be willing to work a flexible schedule with extended hours, including weekends
Certificates and Licenses
• California driver license
Working conditions are outdoors and are subject to the extremes of every season. This is an agricultural environment and dust, water, wind, and machinery are a part of everyday work. Day shift and night shift work can be expected depending on the time of year.
Equipment and Materials Utilized
Type: ATV/RTV, pick-up truck, precision scale, microscope, computer (Office applications), telephone/tablet (electronic forms, specialized apps), GPS, pressure gages, pH meter, handheld soil moisture probe and other specialized instrumentation
• Acts in a manner reflective of the Company culture of High Moral Standards, Innovation and Continuous Evolution, Trust in Team, Continuous Improvement, and Sustainable Relationships
• Communicates, interacts, and works effectively with others; receptive to feedback and coaching; voices concerns in a constructive manner
• Demonstrates commitment to safety first; communicates safety concerns; promotes a safe work environment based on established safety standards and training
• Follows all Company policies and procedures
Management retains the discretion to add to or change the duties of the position at any time.
California Pay Transparency Disclaimer: This is a Non-Exempt position. The pay range for this position is $18.00 to $20.00.
Actual placement within range will be contingent upon a number of factors, including but not limited to the candidate's qualifications, education, experience, internal equity and alignment with market data.
Delicato Family Wines offers its temporary employees a generous and comprehensive benefits package. The core health insurance component includes medical coverage. In addition you will be eligible to participate in the 401(k) plan with a generous company match, and sick time accrual.
Delicato Family Wines is an Equal Opportunity Employer.