Position: Domaine Serene Winemaker
Domaine Serene Winery is seeking a Winemaker. This position will report to the Vice President of Winemaking and Viticulture and will direct the production team to produce wines of international significance.
Mission: Direct all aspects of winemaking and production activities at Domaine Serene, while leading, developing, and inspiring the production team to continually push the envelope of wine quality.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter, driven to succeed, with an uncommon dedication to quality and winemaking of the highest caliber. The candidate must possess the ability to work at a high level in a fast-paced, luxury wine environment where continuous improvement is expected.
Role and Responsibilities:
• This position is directly responsible for the wine quality of Domaine Serene wines. Act as the leader and driver of quality, producing world-class wines of global appeal as measured by consumers and top wine critics.
• Have a clear understanding of premium winemaking techniques, including logistics, timing, execution, and evaluation of results.
• Direct all operational aspects of the winery with a focus on quality, efficiency, accuracy and according to SOPs. Act as an advocate for innovation and quality improvements.
• Under the direction of the Vice-President of Winemaking and develops long-term grape supply plans and manages the wine supply portion of the Strategic Plan ensuring highest quality wine by program.
• Manages the DS Production Manager, ensuring the Production Calendar and Bottling Calendar are in sync and the highest level of Quality Control is performed on all wines and packaging materials. Creates wine production estimates and coordinates with Production Manager for all dry good purchases.
• Manages Assistant Winemaker and Enologist.
• Must have a fine-tuned palate, confidence in discussing wine characteristics, and an appreciation of the style of Domaine Serene wines.
• Organizes wine blending sessions and quarterly tastings to identify and classify wine lots by program. Organizes final blend approval tastings with Domaine Serene Executive Team and owner.
• Manages bulk wine inventory with an emphasis on compliance ensuring Wine Tracking, Brandy Tracking and governmental reporting strictly adhered to.
• Lead barrel purchase plan, working with coopers and brokers to ensure the highest standard of wood, craftmanship, and performance in wines. Domaine Serene has a strict barrel QC program to be maintained but coopers and the cellar team.
• Directs the annual Performance Evaluation process for the Production Team. Sets clear goals and conducts annual performance evaluations ensuring goals align with Company goals and individual’s job descriptions.
• Develops and adheres to winery operational budget and capital to maintain tight cost of goods to hit budgetary and margin goals. Direct production related capital expenditures by preparing proposals and implementing approved projects. Work with Finance department effectively managing cash flow for budgets.
• Works with the Vice President of Winemaking and Production on vineyard developments and winery expansion.
• Direct the Domaine Serene Brandy program and support the spirits business as directed.
• Remain abreast of new winemaking and viticulture developments, technology, equipment, and techniques, making regular recommendations for new investments to enhance wine quality.
• Act as a key winery ambassador, representing Evenstad Estates wines and winemaking team at winemaker dinners, seminars, and events.
• Must be open to travel 2 -4 weeks total travel, 1-2 weeks of travel to Burgundy and roughly 1-2 weeks of travel to represent the brands with sales trips.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Strong team management skills are a must with experience in leading, coaching and developing high potential individuals.
• Long-term and strategic thinker interested in helping to build enduring luxury wine brands based on wine quality, consistency, and product integrity.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects and delegate tasks as appropriate.
• Must be a hard-working and naturally inquisitive person who is not afraid to conduct multiple trials to make even small quality enhancements.
• Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships at all levels of an organization.
• Must be a pro-active communicator who deals with difficult situations head on.
• Shares the common vision of the company and is a team player.
• Must always operate with the highest level of integrity and transparency.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Ability to demonstrate discretion, good judgment, tactfulness, and diplomacy.
• Demonstrated ability with Microsoft Office, particularly excel and PowerPoint a must. Experience with Vintrace and/or DistillX5 a plus.
• Speaks French or Spanish a plus.
• Bachelor’s degree in winemaking from a top university or accredited winemaking program.
• Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience as a Head Winemaker or equivalent with luxury Pinot Noir and Chardonnay winemaking. Experience with sparkling wines is a plus.
• Proven track record of making wine at the highest levels, securing top accolades from respected critics in previous and/or current work experience.
• Strong written, oratory, and presentation skills.
• Operate a forklift with confidence and competence.
• Have a valid driver’s license and reliable personal transportation.
• Be able to repeatedly lift at least 50 pounds.
Compensation Package: For the right candidate, the compensation package will be near the top of the range for the industry and includes a competitive base salary with 15% bonus eligibility. Additional quality-related bonuses are available with the achievement of top accolades.