Knowlton House Distillery is looking for a strong sales executive from the spirits industry with experience in dealing with distributors and key accounts on and off-premise. As the Midwest Sales Director, you will drive performance by providing strategic direction and oversight of profitability management, distributor management, trade channels, field execution, team performance, and talent development.
• Build excellent relationships and work closely with importer/distributor marketing, sales, and promotional personnel to ensure the effective execution of marketing plans and the achievement of established sales goals.
• Develop pricing and discount strategy in line with brand positioning and plan.
• Work with importer/distributor staff and the trade to educate them on our brands to ensure their understanding of our strategies and maximize their attention to our brands.
• Create the framework for full importer/distributor accountability through agreed-upon marketing & sales plans; conduct review meetings to evaluate brand performance against objectives and to recommend improvements.
• Interface with distributor trade marketing and sales team to facilitate implementation of marketing initiatives and identify opportunities to expand the business in existing trade channels.
• Ensure product and channel strategies are executed
• Monitor inventory level of product and POS to avoid out-of-stocks. Ensure demand planning is timely and accurate.
• Conduct trade research and gap analysis, evaluating sales and trade data and reports, including competitive activity.
• Develop strategic alliances to enhance sales, profitability, and brand presence.
• Participate in Quarterly Business Reviews with Importer/Distributor and Knowlton House leadership.
• Develop & execute distribution strategy, commercial plans, and growth drivers in line with brand strategy.
• Develop merchandising and point-of-sale programs and guidelines.
• Co-develop and implement brand plans to deliver annual goals in terms of share, volume, revenue, contribution, distribution, and pricing.
• Promotions, especially on-premise, will be an essential element in the development of the company's brands. You will supervise promotions to ensure the effective implementation of promotional activity and adherence to brand positioning guidelines.
• Co-develop & execute experiential programs for consumers, bartenders, and trade, including drinks strategy.
• Conduct pre & post-promotion/event ROI analysis.
• Monitor sales and operational expense budgets to within agreed levels of spend. Ensure proper control.
• Lead financial and operational management, including oversight of pricing, inventory, budget, invoicing, and expenses.
• Develop and maintain effective personal relationships with key trade customers, including distributors, wholesalers, retailers, bar suppliers, and on-premise accounts.
• Develop plans to motivate key on and off-premise accounts to purchase and promote company brands; ensure proper shelf management and adherence to merchandising
• Monitor accounts sold and distribution levels regularly to ensure the achievement of brand goals.
• Monitor trade inventory levels of product and POS to eliminate out-of-stocks.
• Provide leadership internally and externally with the importer/distributor personnel by setting an example, providing guidance, and inspiring all key stakeholders.
• Train and develop reports on performance expectations and KPIs, to achieve their full potential.
• Challenge and hold the team accountable for identifying and capitalizing on market opportunities, driving distributor performance, visual merchandising execution, and adoption of sales technology.
• Lead sales culture (aligned with Company core values), standards, performance coaching, and regional talent development.
• Provide direction, coaching, and feedback to the team through regular team and 1:1 meetings.
• Set short and long-term priorities and develop annual goals while adhering to budgeting, forecasting, and financial control processes.
• Maintain a regular reporting procedure to Knowlton House leadership, including, but not limited to:
• Performance versus plan (sales, marketing expenditures, pricing)
• Distribution and key account performance and relationships
• Competitive activity
• Changes in the market environment
• Assist the Knowlton House leadership with information and other special projects as required.
• Allocate over 80% of their time out in the field
• Frequent out-of-home market travel and multi-night travel required
• Proven ability and experience in the sales, marketing, and promotion of fast-moving consumer goods.
• At least 8-10 years of sales/marketing experience in the spirits segment
• Knowledge of the alcoholic beverage market/industry.
• Knowledge of distribution channels and experience in managing distributors.
• Must be able to travel and dedicate evenings to on-premise as needed
• People leadership experience
• Financial and business acumen in the areas of data analysis, reporting, marketing knowledge
• Excellent written and verbal communication
• Able to obtain and meet industry licensing requirements as needed
• Must be 21 years of age and possess a valid driver's license, secure and maintain auto-liability insurance by state laws
What Knowlton House looks for in an employee
• Professional & personable
• Very diligent & detail-oriented
• Deadline-focused & goal-driven
• Helpful & service driven
• Self-motivated with strong time management skills & thorough follow-through
• Sincere individual with strong ethics
• Invests pride & passion in their work & the company/brands they represent
Physical demands & work environment:
Prolonged periods of standing & walking, ability to lift up to 30 lbs