Under General Supervision, the Harvest Enologist will assist the production and wine-making staff with all harvest-related activities. The Harvest Enologist is the primary person responsible for Laboratory operations during harvest; in addition, will provide technical and logistical support by performing duties such as monitoring fermentations, performing lab analyses, and conducting trials. This internship is located at Black Stallion Estate Winery in Napa.
• Conducting wine Analysis; vineyard grape sample processing and analysis
• Performing ML inoculations and progress tracking
• Handling data management and distribution
• Reviewing data and trend analysis
• Organizing sampling and Setup for tastings, analysis, and winemaking trials
• Monitoring ingredient inventory
• Preparing special ingredient additions
• Performing general quality checks
• Managing fermenter Brix and Temp tracking and distribution of information
• Preparing yeast inoculations
• Generating and distributing harvest production orders
• Assisting with managing and monitoring fermentation trials
• Assisting full-time crew with receiving fruit
• Use of small lot wine processing equipment
• Conducting vineyard site visits to monitor grape development
• Assists with daily fermenter tastings with winemaking staff
*Other duties may be assigned
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in Viticulture, Enology, Chemistry, Biology, Food Science, or other science related field preferred
Previous experience working in wineries for 1 to 2 harvests preferred (cellar or lab)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Strong organizational skills
• Strong reading, writing, communication and mathematical skills
• Solid winemaking theory, wine sensory, communication/presentation and organizational skills
• Ability to work under pressure during harvest with many different people and departments
• Experience with Microsoft Office
• Ability to work overtime and weekends
• Team player and able to work with others
• Must be able to work rapidly and accurately, performing multiple tasks simultaneously
• Chemistry experience in the wine industry is a plus
Certificates and Licenses
• Acceptable driving history with valid Driver's License
• Most work is performed within the analytical lab in a temperature controlled environment.
• In the lead up to harvest, some vineyard visits will be performed where the temperatures may reach 100F
• Occasional exposure to fumes, gases, or dust may occur
Certificates and Licenses
• Acceptable driving history with a valid Driver's License
• Acts in a manner reflective of the Company culture of High Moral Standards, Innovation and Continuous Evolution, Trust in Team, Continuous Improvement, and Sustainable Relationships
• Communicates, interacts, and works effectively with others; receptive to feedback and coaching; voices concerns in a constructive manner
• Demonstrates commitment to safety first; communicates safety concerns; promotes a safe work environment based on established safety standards and training
• Follows all Company policies and procedures
Management retains the discretion to add to or change the duties of the position at any time.
California Pay Transparency Disclaimer: This is a Non-Exempt position. The pay range for this position is $19.00 to $21.00.
Actual placement within range will be contingent upon a number of factors, including but not limited to the candidate's qualifications, education, experience, internal equity and alignment with market data.
Delicato Family Wines offers its temporary employees a generous and comprehensive benefits package. The core health insurance component includes medical coverage. In addition you will be eligible to participate in the 401(k) plan with a generous company match, and sick time accrual.
Delicato Family Wines is an Equal Opportunity Employer.