Groth Vineyard Internship
This is an opportunity for someone who is looking to gain experience working in world-class estate vineyards in a premiere winegrowing region. This position requires the ability to carry out a wide range of tasks related to viticulture and vineyard management, including but not limited to data collection, grower scouting, tractor and field work, and help during harvest. The perfect candidate is hard working, ambitious, has an interest working in viticulture, vineyard management, or the wine industry, and is comfortable working with a team. The time frame for this internship would start in the summer and end after harvest.
This position requires long hours of standing or walking. The ability to work overtime and at nights during certain times of the year will be required. The candidate will report directly to the vineyard manager and will work with him and his team throughout the growing season and harvest. No prior experience is needed as most things can be trained on the job, but a background in vineyard work or viticulture is preferred. Applicants working towards or have recently completed a bachelor’s degree in Viticulture or a related field will be highly considered. Spanish language skills are ideal, but not required. Must be computer literate and familiar with Microsoft Office programs, such as Word and Excel. Must be able to occasionally lift 40 pounds.
The following reflects essential functions of this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. To perform this job successfully, an individual must have regular and reliable attendance and be able to perform each essential function from the list below satisfactorily. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
• Porometer measurements, yield estimates, virus/nutrition & soil sampling, occasional data input on computer
• Oakville growers – scouting reports, sugar sampling
• Discing, Mowing, Chopping, Spraying, Seeding, Compost/amendment spreading
• Suckering, Leafing, Crop thinning, Training, Quality control of crew
• Tractor driving, leaf removal, working with picking crew, crush pad
• Running irrigation/well at both vineyards, drip-line repair, fertigation applications
• Maintain safety records, manage PPE, participate in safety meetings
Berry sample processing during harvest
• Brix, pH, TA, berry weight
Clean driving record and background check are required for employment. Compensation is competitive but depends on experience.
Pay Range-$18.00-21.00 per hour
If interested, please forward a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.