POSITION SUMMARY: As Mendocino Wine Company’s Tasting Room Sales Associate you are the face and image of the company. Your responsibility is to greet guests and facilitate a positive tasting experience by properly conveying our history, our products and our practices in an enjoyable, informative and professional manner. The ideal candidate has an extraverted positive personality, has knowledge of the wine industry, and a polished and professional demeanor. Cooperation and a willingness to work together as a team is an absolute must.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
• Greets guests, pours and describes wines, winemaking techniques, winery history and answers visitor questions. Is knowledgeable of all varietals and vintages.
• Provides information about the company’s regenerative farming and sustainability practices.
• Provides information about the company’s waste water treatment system.
• Conducts customer sales. Effectively suggests and sells wine and wine club memberships to guests. Arranges shipment of related sales.
• Accurately handles routine purchasing transactions, daily sales, daily cash in and cash out, and daily inventories. Tracks number of pours and adjusts inventory on a daily basis.
• Manages wine and non-wine merchandise tasting room inventory to ensure items are stocked, tagged, neatly arranged and inventory counts are correct.
• Maintains cleanliness of tasting room including cleaning glassware, table tops, bars, outdoor furniture and signage.
• Completes daily data tracking forms (*see attached).
• Checks and follows up with tasting room phone messages, cleans and removes garbage as needed before opening (removes trash on the weekends as there is no housekeeping staff).
• Processes incoming freight within 2 days of arrival.
• Performs opening and closing operations of the tasting room including cashing out, closing point of sale program, cleans bar area and tools, records depletions.
• Prepares for and attends weekly DTC staff meetings with DTC Director and other staff.
• Functions as a back-up for the Wine Club/Tasting Room Coordinator for all customer service related needs.
• With direction from the DTC Director, executes tours, trade tastings and events. This includes set-up, staffing and sales at the event.
• Calls customer sales list as required by the Wine Club/Tasting Room Coordinator.
• Maintains a professional appearance and positive attitude at all times.
• Maintains a positive and productive open line of communication with the DTC Director, Wine Club/Tasting Room Coordinator, and other Sales Associates.
• Works with DTC Director and Wine Club/Tasting Room Coordinator to execute year-end inventory counts.
• Carries out responsibilities in accordance with the winery's policies and applicable laws.
• Communicates with DTC Director or Wine Club/Tasting Room Coordinator when there is down time to assist with any projects or duties as needed.
*Other duties may be assigned as deemed necessary by the DTC Director.