“We have yet to make our best bottle of wine.” This philosophy of constant improvement at Silver Oak and Twomey applies to everyone and everything we do, from grape to glass, production to sales and marketing. We live and breathe a company culture focused on a healthy work-life balance, positive thinking, collaboration, going above and beyond, education, safety and a sense of curiosity. Working at Silver Oak and Twomey comes with many benefits, but none as great as coming to work and feeling valued as a member of the family. Full time employment offers a competitive benefit and healthcare package; and of course, the wine country lifestyle!
We are currently are seeking an experienced Vineyard Mechanic to join our team. This position will be based out of our Soda Canyon, Napa Valley, CA location. This position is hourly, non-exempt.
Silver Oak & Twomey Cellars has a mandatory vaccination policy, which requires all of our employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have a medical or religious exemption approved by the company.
SUMMARY: Under direction from the Lead Vineyard Mechanic and Vineyard Manager, this employee will support all vineyard production during normal operations, perform repairs and preventive maintenance on all equipment, and may be asked to help maintain our facilities. This position will be based in Napa but may on occasion be asked to assist with vineyards, equipment & facilities in Sonoma and Mendocino counties based on the needs of the business.
• Routinely inspects, maintains, and services vineyard and shop equipment, including but not limited to trucks, forklifts, loaders, tractors and implements, located primarily at our Napa vineyard locations.
• Performs minor and routine repairs including but not limited to welding, cutting, basic fabrication, painting, plumbing and electrical wiring.
• Irrigation/Frost Protection system maintenance and repair.
• May be asked to assist in frost protection duties.
• Loads and transports a variety of farming equipment to various locations. Picks up and delivers parts and supplies as needed.
• During harvest, may be asked to weigh, load and haul grapes and/or other commodities to various wineries and facilities.
• Help create and maintain up-to-date service and replacement records for vineyard equipment, vehicles, and machinery.
• Inspects buildings, grounds, and equipment for unsafe or malfunctioning conditions.
• Communicates needs for major repairs or additions to equipment inventory to appropriate manager. Makes recommendations to the vineyard manager for upgrades or cost savings to maintenance operations and/or equipment.
• Coordinates major repairs with outside vendors, as necessary.
• Maintains a clean and safe working environment.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• High school diploma or equivalent. Completion of mechanical training or certification program preferred.
• One to two years related experience or equivalent.
• Clean DMV, Class A or B a plus.
• Basic working knowledge of gas and diesel engines, vineyard equipment repairs and maintenance, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, and industrial maintenance.
• Basic computer skills.
• Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
• Ability to manage priorities and workflow.
• Ability to work independently and as a member of various teams and committees.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work on complex projects with general direction and minimal guidance.
• Bilingual English/Spanish skills a plus.
• Ability to understand all safety requirements and cautions.
• Ability to effectively communicate with people at all levels and from various backgrounds.
• Experience reading and using equipment manuals, equipment drawings and electrical schematics to diagnose and resolve equipment problems.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to do the following:
• Lift and carry up to and above 75 pounds.
• Use ladders and scaffolds.
• Work at heights and in inclement weather.
• Work near moving machinery parts, heavy machinery parts and tools, hoists, etc.
• Exposure to gasoline, diesel, lubricants, gases appropriate during welding operations.
• Noise levels are frequently moderate to loud.
• Occasional exposure to wet and/or humid conditions and toxic or caustic chemicals.
• Heat and cold exposure and long hours during peak seasons of harvest and frost.
• Work is often performed outdoors in a vineyard. The individual may encounter vines that have been treated with pesticides and fungicides as well as weeds that have been sprayed with herbicides in accordance with all local state and federal regulations.
• Frequent travel between vineyard locations in both Sonoma and Napa County.
The above reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
To be considered for this excellent opportunity, apply below.