Hyland Vineyards, Inc. is a Vineyard Management company that works in conjunction with NW Wine Company of Dundee, OR. Hyland Vineyards, Inc. farms and manages vineyards primarily in Oregon’s Willamette Valley focusing on producing Pinot Noir, Pinot Gris, and Chardonnay grapes. Our vineyards are farmed using LIVE Certified or conventional management methods.
Under the direction of the Director of Vineyard Operations, the Viticulture Technician will be primarily responsible for all vineyard data collection, including but not limited to yield estimates, block mapping, phenology, pest/disease incidence, inventory and leading season Interns when needed for data collection. The Viticulture Technician will also be a part of the vineyard safety program and will be responsible for periodic shop/workspace inspections and chemical safety training.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Have a working knowledge of common issues in commercial grapevine production, specifically in pest and disease recognition, vine physiology, and standard production
• Working with the Assistant Vineyard manager, collect and analyze relevant viticulture data including: Phenology Dates, Weather Data, Pest and Disease Incidence, Yield
Estimates, and Trial Data, Nutrient Sampling
• Establishing/ maintaining vine counts for all blocks at all vineyard properties under our control.
• Create, update, and maintain all vineyard maps to integrate multiple variables on the maps and to be able to utilize maps for work orders and as a historical record.
• Creating and managing the vineyard database containing vine phenology, crop estimates and harvest records in addition to spray records and reports.
• Assisting with petiole and soil sampling and recording.
• Assisting with regular field scouting for pest and disease issues.
• Assisting with the planning and implementation of long-term nsoil fertility programs.
• Assisting with the planning on both annual and long-term vine architecture and management issues.
• Performing shoot tip readings on indicator blocks throughout the growing season.
• Maintain Data Entry into computer spreadsheets and Agcode.
• Manage Viticulture Interns during the peak season
• Enforce Vineyard Safety Protocols
• Transfer vineyard supplies/materials or equipment as needed
• Assist Vineyard Supervisors with specific projects.
• Maintain business and professional relationships with all vendors and industry.
• Represent company at industry events.
• Keep up to date on relevant viticulture topics.
• B.S in Viticulture or related field including Agriculture/Horticulture
• 1-2 years of Vineyard experience
• Proficient computer skills, specifically the Microsoft programs.
• Experience in GPS mapping preferred.
• Ability to work extended hours during peak season, including yield estimates and harvest
• Ability to work in extreme weather including excessive cold or heat
• Ability to lift 50lbs
• Valid Driver’s License
• Bilingual in English and Spanish is a plus/preferred
• Oregon Private Pesticide Applicators License is a plus/preferred
• Proficient with AgCode a plus/preferred.
This is a full-time position
Salary: Depends on Experience
Medical- Vision- Dental insurance coverage