SD Media Productions, LLC is the company behind the Healdsburg Wine & Food Experience, an annual wine and food weekend that highlights culinary diversity, sustainable farming practices and a deep connection to agriculture – through tastings, culinary demonstrations, seminars, events and more – all in the beautiful setting of Healdsburg and Sonoma’s Wine Country.
The Controller will be responsible for all day-to-day accounting functions of the company and with the review, analysis and documentation of financial processes, procedures, and internal controls. As a small business, this is one-person accounting department with support from a contractor to assist with general bookkeeping duties.
We estimate 20-30 hours/week for this position, with potential to increase roles/hours to full time for the right candidate, if desired. Mostly remote, Bay Area preferred for in-person meetings in Napa/Sonoma/Marin.
Duties & responsibilities:
• Manage all aspects of accounting: billing, financial statements, general ledger, cost accounting, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, budgeting, tax compliance, inventory accounting, cost accounting, revenue recognition, and various special analyses
• Maintain documented system of accounting policies and operations
• Assess current accounting operations, offer recommendations for improvement and implement new processes where applicable
• Oversee payments of all accounts; ensuring all accounts are paid on time in accordance with company procedures
• Process accounts and collect ongoing payments
• Oversee all payments made for debts, bank loans, and other critical distributions
• Monitor and report on cash and funding balances on a regular basis
• Keep an organized digital filing system of all accounts, statements, transactions, payments, and debts
• Prepare and organize financial statements for record and review as requested
• Prepare quarterly/annual financial reports
• Plan and manage the quarterly/annual budgets and forecasts
• Advises management about insurance coverage for protection against property losses and potential liabilities
• Comply with all local, state, and federal laws regarding finances, tax filings, and reporting
• Ensure that company complies with any additional legal and regulatory requirements, seeking guidance where applicable.
• 3+ years accounting experience required
• Strong organizational skills
• QuickBooks Online
• Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and Google Docs
• Exceptional knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, cost accounting and cost control principles, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Advanced knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting best practices, laws, standards, and state/national regulations
• Able to work well with senior executives and team, as well as mentor/lead other team members