Treasury Wine Estates (TWE) is one of the world's leading wine companies. We know that it's the thinkers, makers, and doers who have the most impact as we continue to strive towards being recognized as the world's most admired premium wine company. We are proud of our portfolio of brands that have tremendous heritage, rich quality, and a reputation for excellence across the globe. From the iconic luxury of Penfolds, Stags' Leap, Etude, Beaulieu Vineyards, and Beringer, to the broad appeal of Sterling Vineyards and newer brands like Frank Family Vineyards and 19 Crimes, we are committed to creating memorable wine experiences for our consumers.
About the Role
TWE seeks an attorney with 8+ years' experience in employment law (Federal and California) who also has an interest in leading privacy and supporting other practice areas including compliance, contracts, litigation and transactional matters. This role will support functions across the business, with a particular focus on HR and roles that involve consumer data. Although the role is focused on the Americas region (U.S., Canada and LATAM), there are opportunities to participate in global initiatives. Knowledge of alcoholic beverage regulations and/or wine industry experience is a plus.
* Evaluate legal risks and provide subject matter knowledge on a broad range of employment law issues, including wage and hour, payroll, benefits, hiring, performance management, internal investigations, leaves of absence, discipline, terminations, employee classification, and employee privacy
* Collaborate with HR, payroll, operations, and compliance on employment-related compliance matters, including advising on wage and hour compliance audits, identifying additional areas of employment-related compliance opportunities, advising on preventative and corrective action plans, and supporting training initiatives
* Monitor federal, state, and local legislation, regulations, and case law on employment-related matters pertinent to the company; communicate updates and recommendations as needed
* Provide counsel and support on agency charges, government audits, demand letters and litigation matters; coordinate with outside counsel on same
* Oversee Americas' privacy and cybersecurity matters, including CCPA/CPRA compliance; participate in global privacy and cybersecurity initiatives
* Draft and revise employment-related agreements and other written content such as offer letters, contractor agreements, vendor agreements, as well as commercial contracts with privacy/data considerations
* Participate in M&A matters, with a particular focus on employment and privacy diligence
* Provide litigation support (beyond employment law)
* Create an awareness and understanding of TWE's employment and privacy policies and procedures by working with HR on regular training programs and stakeholder engagements
* Work with the rest of the Americas Legal team on one-off matters and global initiatives
* You have a Juris Doctor (JD) degree from a top-ranked law school
* You are an active member in good standing of the California Bar or eligible to be registered as an in-house counsel in California
* You have 8 years+ experience as a licensed attorney at a top-tier law firm or equivalent in-house experience, with a focus on employment law
* You have expertise in federal and state employment laws and regulations, with a particular focus on California (including Title VII, ADA, FMLA, FLSA, FEHA, PAGA, etc.) and experience with federal and state agencies (DOL, EEOC, DLSE, DFEH etc.)
* You have experience advising on employment-related compliance and disputes
* You have familiarity with U.S. privacy laws or willingness and capability to gain such expertise
* You have contract negotiation and drafting skills
* You are self-motivator and can work in a fast-paced, international public company
* You have a entrepreneurial mindset that enables you to successfully work independently with little guidance, but also to use good judgment and escalate issues when needed
* You have sound and practical business judgment
* You have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including ability to distill complex legal concepts into actional advice for business partners
* You have excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task and attention to detail
* You maintain a positive work environment, contribute to group morale and reflect TWE growth behaviors
What's in it for you
* The opportunity to be bold and make an impact in the world of wine
* Access to the world's most celebrated wines through our employee product allowance
* True flexibility in determining how, when, and where you work to achieve your potential
* Global opportunities across the US, Australia & New Zealand, Asia, UK/Europe
* Opportunity to build a career across multiple functions (we're really good at doing this!)
* Structured development programs to support your health, wellbeing, and career
* "TWEforME Day" -an additional day of leave each year, for you to do you!
* Competitive benefits package including: Medical, Dental, and Vision, Paid Time Off (vacation, sick time, and holidays), 401K with company match, and much more!
We bring our whole selves, we're courageous and we deliver together -that's our DNA. We're a passionate bunch who enjoy working together, like to have fun, and keep things down-to-earth. We're brave enough and care enough to have the right conversations to get the best outcome and are famous for our can-do attitude. We're definitely "glass half full" people and see challenges as opportunities and move with pace to achieve our goals.
If you're ready to help us be the world's most admired premium wine company, please apply now!
Inclusion Equity and Diversity
Just like the wide range and variety of brands in our wine portfolio, TWE embraces diversity and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive cons