The Tasting Room Lead is a key role that oversees all day-to-day operations of the tasting room. This position supports and leads the tasting room staff while ensuring the highest quality guest experience.
Serve as brand ambassador while helping to create and maintain a high level, educational and memorable guest experience. Assist the DTC Manager in coordinating and executing all goals of the tasting room while maintaining excellent customer service and maximum profitability. Assist with the structure and execution of service guidelines, operational procedures and policies.
• Manage day-to-day operations of the tasting room. Supervise staff and perform hospitality functions which include greeting visitors, providing tastings and wine education, reservation management, sales, inventory management, management of printed materials and assisting staff with customer services.
• Assist DTC Manager with hiring, training, evaluating, coaching, and overseeing the performance of the tasting room sales associates. Ensuring all tasting room staff is fully educated on the wines, clubs, winery, vineyards, upcoming events, etc.
• Monitoring of daily, monthly, quarterly, and annual sales goals, visitor volume, etc.
• Providing a welcoming and educational environment for customers.
• Assist the DTC Manager in leading the tasting room team to achieve business priorities such as membership conversion, wine sales and brand positioning.
• Work with DTC Manager to create strategic plans including a sales plan, individual and team goals, staff training and development.
• Assist with implementation and execution of tele sales program.
• Large focus on club conversion.
• Clearly communicate all club options and structure to every customer.
• Assist DTC Manager with planning, setup and execution of all club events.
• Develop and maintain networking programs with local businesses and organizations to drive traffic to the tasting room.
• Visit local wineries in order to form strong relationships and create a referral program.
• Attend local networking events.
• Outreach to local visitor centers, hotels and B&B’s offering to send/drop off information for their guests.
• Assist DTC Manager with planning, setup and execution of all winery events.
• Work with DTC Manager to develop staffing schedule to ensure tasting room is adequately staffed at all times. Communicate schedule to staff through various channels.
• Coordinate opening and closing of daily till, balancing bank deposits with daily register totals, maintaining adequate cash reserves on hand, and resolving errors in cash balances.
• Maintain the tasting room facilities keeping a clean and sanitary workspace for customers and employees, inside and out. Develop daily and weekly cleaning schedule.
• Maintain and ordering of tasting room supplies.
Qualifications, Experience & Skills Required
Education: High school diploma. Associates or bachelor’s degree from a 4-year college or university a plus.
• Advanced computer skills.
• Experience with wine industry related software a plus. (AMS)
• Managing inventory and coordinating logistics.
• At least 3 years’ tasting room, or other hospitality experience. Management experience a plus.
• Ability to use and learn different sales, POS and CRM platforms.
• Must be able to work independently and have ability to lead a team.
• Willingness to engage and develop relationships throughout the organization.
• Coordinating and working with leadership team and co-workers.
• A growth mindset with an emphasis on solving problems.
• Wine knowledge and enthusiasm.
Personal & Interpersonal Skills
• Demonstrated ability to identify the root causes of problems and generate solutions.
• Confident at working with number with the highest level of accuracy.
• Sets objectives, identifies the key results and take the initiative achieving the results.
• A personal self-awareness that listens to understand, embraces diversity with a genuine kindness toward people.
• Has impeccable integrity, takes responsibility for outcomes and earns the trust of management and the general manager.
• Maintain strong emotional control, can remain calm and positive under stress.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Customer focused.
• Ability to perform duties and responsibilities in a manner consistent with the Pedroncelli’s value of exhibiting the highest quality standards in all endeavors.
Compensation & Benefits:
• This position is full time, 5 days per week, weekends required.
• $25/hr (make up to $35/hr with club commission and tips).
• Full benefits package, paid vacation, 401K, profit sharing, etc.
• Gas stipend, .58 cents/mile for travel to and from work.
• Tasting/Sample allotment of wine.