The Harvest Winemaking Intern position allows recent college graduates the opportunity and exposure to winemaking projects and tasks which may coincide with the Intern's academic and/or career interest. This allows for broad exposure to the organization with supervision and mentoring, which creates a professional network and real-life work experiences during the harvest season.
Under general supervision, the Harvest Winemaking Intern is responsible for providing technical and logistical support by performing various Harvest-related winemaking duties which may vary depending on location. This position may also assist in implementing and monitoring winemaking trials and small experimental lots and may work with production teams to perform routine duties as directed. This internship is located at our Alba Coast facility.
• Receives and sorts grapes
• Performs Pump Overs/Punch Downs
• Assists with draining/pressing tanks
• Fills barrels
• Prepares and completes wine ingredient additions
• Sanitizes winery equipment and facilities
• Manages data and distribution
• Performs general quality checks
• Conducts fermenter Brix/Temp analysis
• Assists in managing and monitoring winemaking trials
• Vineyard Visits
• Utilizes lab analysis for daily sensory tastings
*Other duties may be assigned
Education and Experience
• Bachelor's degree in Viticulture, Enology, Chemistry, Biology, Food Science, Biochemistry or other science related field preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Strong organizational skills
• Strong reading, writing, communication and mathematical skills
• Solid winemaking theory, wine sensory, communication/presentation and organizational skills
• Ability to work under pressure during harvest with many different people and departments
• Experience with Microsoft Office and proficiency with Excel
• Ability to work overtime hours and weekends
• Team player and able to work with others
• Must be able to work rapidly and accurately, performing multiple tasks simultaneously
• Most activities take place in lab, office or winery environment
• Must be able to work extended hours during the harvest season and rotating shifts throughout the year
• In the lead up to harvest, some vineyard visits will be performed where the temperatures may reach 100F
• Acts in a manner reflective of the Company culture of High Moral Standards, Innovation and Continuous Evolution, Trust in Team, Continuous Improvement, and Sustainable Relationships
• Communicates, interacts, and works effectively with others; receptive to feedback and coaching; voices concerns in a constructive manner
• Demonstrates commitment to safety first; communicates safety concerns; promotes a safe work environment based on established safety standards and training
• Follows all Company policies and procedures
Management retains the discretion to add to or change the duties of the position at any time.
Delicato Family Wines offers its temporary employees a generous and comprehensive benefits package. The core health insurance component includes medical coverage. In addition you will be eligible to participate in the 401(k) plan with a generous company match, and sick time accrual.
Delicato Family Wines is an Equal Opportunity Employer.