Sea Star Vineyard and Winery is seeking a career-minded, enthusiastic individual to join our management team as a Vineyard Manager/Viticulturalist for our Vancouver Island vineyard.
Our ideal candidate will have:
• Formal education and training in viticulture practices (advanced degree or diploma from a recognized program) or equivalent experience in the role;
• 3-5 years experience in a supervisory vineyard position;
• Proven ability to develop and lead a vineyard team;
• Experienced in the operation and maintenance of all farm equipment;
• Fluency in English language (Both written and spoken);
• Canadian citizenship, permanent residency, work permit or other Canadian immigration status allowing the candidate to be employed in the position;
• Knowledge of soils, drainage, nutrient management, insects, weed management, canopy management and crop harvesting and handling;
• Willingness to learn and apply new agro-technologies;
• Some familiarity with and commitment to sustainable farming practices an asset.
Duties to include:
• Apply precision viticulture to optimize vineyard performance;
• Manage, supervise and develop vineyard team;
• Maintain spray and production documentation;
• All vineyard tasks including (but not limited to) agrichemical applications, pest and disease control, winter pruning, soil and yield management, vine nutrition and canopy management;
• Assisting the winemaker, when required, particularly during harvest and bottling.
This job involves working outside in all weather conditions and requires a large amount of physical labour. During the busy times of harvest and bottling, the individual must display flexibility regarding the possibility of a temporary work schedule outside standard operational hours.
This job is full-time and year-round. Competitive salary and benefits offered based on experience.