The position will be responsible for the quality, organization, and execution of winemaking activities for our 3,000-5,000-case production winery in Leavenworth County. We operate tasting rooms in 3 locations as well as self distribute to restaurants and liquor stores. The position requires a mixture of hands-on wine making and managerial/supervisory skills, laboratory skills, attention to detail, cleanliness, and is a physically active role. We are looking for a passionate wine maker to join our team!
Must be able to interview in person at our vineyard facility and participate in a shadow opportunity of skills as part of the interview to move forward in selection.
- Manage/Assist in supervising all day-to-day wine cellar operations, including harvest, bulk wine, barrels, bottling preparation, sanitation, and cellar organization and cleanliness.
- Provide winemaking technical support to the Winemaker and production staff.
- Supervise grape receiving, crushing, pressing and wine production operations during harvest.
- Participate in wine tasting at all stages throughout the winemaking process and be responsible for conducting evaluation and recommendation of treatments.
- Write work orders for all production related tasks from harvest to bottling.
- Responsible for supervising, training, and mentoring all cellar employees during harvest, providing ongoing instruction and support as assigned.
- Work as a team with Winemakers on all blends to ensure wine profiles are being adequately filled and bottling requirements are met on time.
-Development of our Hardly Twisted Cider line and management of cider making process from apple harvest to keg.
- Responsible for adhering to state and federal regulations.
- Assist in educational tastings and tours of the facility, when needed.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of the winemaking process and procedures.
- Prepare work-orders, assist in data management, as well as conduct bulk and bottled wine inventories.
- Responsibility for the quality and execution of work performed, review and implementation of standards of care, safety, and operating procedures.
- Safety training and management of compliance issues in the laboratory and cellar environment to provide a safe workplace.
- Strategic and some budgetary planning for seasonal projects, harvest activities, staffing, ordering of supplies.
- Maintain wine and job quality goals while managing for good productivity and cost effectiveness.
- Be available for weekend and evening winery events that require interaction with customers.
Desired Skills & Experience Requirements include:
- Degree in Enology, Viticulture, Chemistry, or related field
- Experience with both the practical and technical aspects of the winemaking process and understand winemaking regulatory requirements. Includes all aspects of harvest, fermentation, cellar work, and winemaking analysis is preferred.
- Must possess excellent written, oral communication and presentation skills, fluent in English, both verbal and written; spoken Spanish helpful.
- Experience in a premium winemaking environment, and a commitment to growing quality.
- Strong organizational, teambuilding, problem solving skills, attention to detail, with ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Lift and carry up to 50 pounds; work on and around ladders, catwalks, uneven flooring, in hot, cold and wet environments; with typical winery chemical exposure and conditions.
- Available to work a varied schedule during harvest season as needed.
- Excellent math skills and accuracy with numbers and strong recordkeeping skills along with a working knowledge of data collection and data analysis.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel, as well as the ability to learn other related computer programs & databases.