The primary role of the Construction Manager is to support the Director of Construction to implement the direction of the Family through implementing capital improvement construction projects from schematic design to certificate of occupancy and punch list sign off. Duties of this position include but are not limited to preconstruction services, estimating, contracting, constructability input to construction documents/engineering/permitting, bidding/award and construction management for a variety of real estate projects; manage and provide input to the Director of Construction on capital and cash flow forecasting & budgeting (facilities), value engineering, general project pricing, overall construction and unit pricing trends by region, and contracting.
• Provides support and manages commercial and residential construction projects in all aspects of real estate, including small scale tasting room remodels, full-scale wineries, assorted hospitality venues and residential homes
• Identifies, contracts and directs general contractors and sub-contractors to build various projects on schedule and budget
• Provides input on construction document and improvement plan design and specifications to improve constructability and ensure plans/specs have been optimized for compliance, cost and schedule
• Provides estimating / pricing /schedule tracking and budgets for construction offsites and directs as needed
• Implements bidding services, provides input on contractor selection, notice to proceed, contract negotiations, resolution of non-compliance with plans and specifications, inspections through certificate of occupancy and punch list / warranty and closing obligation compliance
• Provides input on field construction strategy /sequencing/ contractor compliance, quality control and safety processes to help meet project goals
• Provides general construction management services including field superintendent and subcontractor oversight and office project management as needed and with the support of the Real Estate team
• Accountable for construction scheduling and managing general and subcontractors schedule compliance
• Responds to RFI's and submittals as needed, negotiates change orders and maintains project budgets Responsible for construction administration oversight, lien compliance, coordination and team communications within the organization
• Responsible for Schedule of Values management from contract inception through punch list, compliance with budgets set forth in such payables, including retention and warranty obligations Time in the field, hands-on construction experience a plus.
• In concert with the Director of Construction, develops and manages department budgets, long and short-term department goals, objectives and operating procedures
• Maintains knowledge of construction unit costs, pricing, demands and makes recommendations on purchasing and procurement as needed
• Is able to provide "boots on the ground" quality control and "means and methods" oversight
REPORTING TO THIS POSITION:
Education: Bachelor's degree in Construction Management, Architecture, Engineering, Environmental Sciences, or related field or equivalent on the job experience and professional training. CA State contractor's license (A, B preferred, C acceptable).
Experience: 10+ years of experience in commercial and or residential construction, land development, architecture/engineering or construction industries including significant large scale commercial construction experience. Working knowledge of all forms of construction contracting and licensing including AGCCA and CSLB preferred but not required. Time in the field, hands-on construction experience a plus.
Skills/Abilities: Ability to facilitate and motivate contractors and subconsultants, simultaneously, to produce quality products within tight timeframes and budgets. Ability to coordinate project general contractors, sub-contractors/trades, construction and project management activities, technical staff / consultants. Strong analytical, plan review, organizational and writing skills are a must. A record of successful construction projects delivered on time and budget. Ability to maintain effective working relationships with designers, engineers, subcontractors, trades and diverse individuals is also required. Proven ability to work well independently (and unsupervised at times). Experience in bidding, selecting, negotiating, and contracting with contractors will be highly regarded. Must be willing to travel and work evening/weekend on occasion.
Computer Skills: Advanced MSOffice skills in Word/Excel/MS Project. Knowledge of AutoCad a plus. Construction management software (e.g. Primavera, BlueBeam, etc) also a plus.
Mental/Emotional Aptitude:Candidate must have the ability to perform under stress for extended periods of time, with coworkers/internal teams, as well as outside contractors, facility workers, consultants, inspectors etc., and maintain a professional level of decorum. Ability to collaborate and work well with others, superiors and/or subordinates, is a necessary asset.