The Cellar Master – Kenwood Vineyards, in consultation with the Winemaking Operations Manager – Kenwood Vineyards, is responsible for the wine production process at Kenwood Vineyards, including grape receipt, winemaking activities, and barrel operations, through to wine preparation for bottling. The Cellar Master is responsible for overseeing the efficient management of staff and operations within the cellar to ensure quality wine production.
• Follow all cellar protocols, standards and procedures.
• Solve technical/processing problems as they arise.
• Regular checking on cellar operations to ensure maintenance of quality standards and performance.
• In conjunction with the Winemaking Operations Manager, develop winery planning /efficiency tools as they relate to winery requirements.
• Ensure wine supply to Packaging is timely and within product specifications.
• Challenge the status quo and look for new solutions to ongoing and new problems.
• Assist the Winemaking Operations Manager to review the production processes and procedures, to ensure continuous improvement.
• Assist in the Seasonal Harvest recruitment
• Develop and maintain, in conjunction with others, a culture that promotes a quality focus within the Cellar team.
• Develop and maintain, in conjunction with others, a culture that promotes efficient utilisation of staff and resources to meet Winemakers requirements and ensure production requirements are achieved
• Positively influence the culture of winery operations in line with Company values.
• Ensure effective intra and inter Departmental communication between all levels of employees within the Winery.
• Participate in formal and informal team meetings as required.
• Be a driving force in assisting the Winemaking Operations Manager to establish appropriate industrial environment for a safe and productive workplace.
Kenwood Vineyards Specific:
• Ensure quality control systems are promoted in accordance with Company Policy, Food Safety and assist in the implementation of ISO Quality Systems.
• Prepare Bottling Work orders, collaborate with winemaker to insure blend, shipping and transfer workers efficiently utilize cellar and seasonal staff.
Skills / Qualifications / Experience:
• Minimum 3 years of cellar experience operating and caring for filters, pumps, presses, hoses and other cellar equipment
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Leadership or supervisory experience
• Ability to work in a changing environment with a commitment to continuous improvement and quality systems
• Computer skills medium level of knowledge with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, word, PowerPoint, outlook).
• Self-motivated, industrious, honest and a high level of integrity
• A demonstrated commitment to quality
• Experience working under ISO guidelines and managing continuous improvement initiatives
• Spanish as second language.
• Experienced in operating Crossflow Filter, Centrifuge, and Press.
• Forklift experience
• Flexible working hours
• Harvest shift work
• Sporadic requirement to work or travel to other facilities instate
• Commitment to promoting wine knowledge and culture
• Work is performed in a typical field environment with moderate demands for movement and lifting.