ASSISTANT VINEYARD MANAGER
Central Coast vineyard management company seeks an Assistant Vineyard Manager for Santa Barbara County. Responsible for daily farming operations consistent with budget and winery quality dictates on commercial wine grape operation and the installation of new vineyards.
Duties and responsibilities
• Assists with designs and oversees field implementation of viticulture and development plans.
• Assists with implementation of procedures and technologies focused on optimizing efficiency, controlling costs and maximizing quality production.
• Assists in the preparation and monitoring of vineyard operating budgets.
• Oversee and hands-on canopy management, disease control, pest control, pruning practices, harvesting, spraying and other aspects as needed.
• Manage and maintain all pesticide records and chemical reporting.
• Directs and schedules overall daily activities of personnel and equipment.
• Checks vineyard daily to oversee progress, quality and cost of work being performed by vineyard personnel.
• Maintaining historic data base and crop estimates for vineyard and blocks.
• Enforces the company’s Injury & Illness Prevention Program.
• Interfaces with Human Resources to assist with hiring, counseling, safety issues and trainings.
• Monitors safety practices and regulatory compliance.
• Works with staff to research equipment and technologies to improve or enhance farming operations.
• BS in an Ag Major with minimum 2 years vineyard and supervisory experience preferred.
• CA Driver’s License with clean DMV record
• Viticulture background preferred
• Pesticide Applicators License a plus
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
• Fluent in English
• Bilingual in Spanish, preferred
• Proficiency in the use of computer programs using Microsoft products
• Detail oriented and well organized. Self-starter, ability to self-manage and set priorities.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Team oriented.
• Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others both internally and externally to achieve the goals of the organization.
• Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills along with the ability to manage multiple priorities.
This is an exempt, salary, year-round, full-time position, usually 6 days a week (Monday – Saturday). Schedule is very dependent on the time of year and demands of our clients. Night and early morning hours necessary during harvest season.
Competitive salary DOE, health benefits and 401k included. Pre-employment drug and alcohol testing is mandatory. EOE M/F