Lawrence Wine Estates supports a growing collection of wine estates in Napa Valley. The collection includes Heitz Cellar, Burgess Cellars, and Stony Hill Vineyards, all wineries with a deep legacy in Napa Valley, as well as four new brands that are anchored by distinct estate vineyards. Since the purchase of Heitz Cellar in 2018, owner Gaylon Lawrence and Master Sommelier and CEO Carlton McCoy have continued to acquire unique vineyards and now seek to launch new brands to realize more fully the potential of more than 600 acres of Napa Valley vineyards. All the estate brands honor traditional wine styles and prioritize natural farming techniques to create pure and balanced wines of the highest quality. Lawrence Wine Estates is actively expanding, creating a fast-paced environment. This endeavor creates a unique work culture where winemaking and vineyard traditions are honored, but the spirit is entrepreneurial. Lawrence Wine Estates works closely with Demeine Estates, the sales and marketing partner for each of the wine estates.
Position: Staff Accountant / Inventory Specialist
Reports to: Corporate Controller
Location: Napa Valley
Travel: Light travel between locations in Napa Valley
Employment Type: Full-time
General Position Overview:
The primary role of the Staff Accountant / Inventory Specialist will be to manage the Inventory and Accounts Receivable of multiple affiliated entities. This role will also assist with various compliance matters as necessary. Reporting to the Corporate Controller, this position will be an integral part of a dynamic accounting team in supporting a growing and evolving organization. Lawrence Wine Estates recently implemented Microsoft Business Central and plans to implement additional technology to help build an efficient and scalable accounting operation. The ideal candidate will embrace and assist with the implementation of these technologies and adopt best practices necessary to become a best-in-class accounting function.
• Primary responsibilities
• Inventory management (tracking, transfers, location reconciliations, etc.)
• Costing (Grapes and Case Goods)
• Accounts Receivable
• Secondary responsibilities
• General ledger maintenance for multiple affiliated entities
• Assist with Cash Management
• Assistance with other accounting-related tasks as necessary to the needs of the teams
• ERP: Assist with the continued implementation of Microsoft Business Central (FKA NAV or Navision)
• Audit support and assistance with year-end financial statement preparation.
• Support the Corporate Controller with reporting and analysis
• Support/liaison for annual audit
• Assist the Director of Compliance as necessary
• Continuous improvement of processes
• Responsible for additional ad hoc projects and reporting, as necessary.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting preferred, CPA is a plus
• 3+ years of accounting work experience preferred, with a successful track record within an organization. We will consider less experience for certain extraordinary
• Experience in the wine industry or other CPG industry is a plus
• Public Accounting experience is a plus
• An understanding of GAAP and how it works with managerial accounting
• Proficient skills in Excel and with other Microsoft office programs
• Experience with a modern ERP, notably Microsoft Navision or Business Central, is highly desirable
• Understanding of and ability to research technical accounting issues as requested
• Willingness to work extended hours when needed, especially in the first several months as the organization undergoes system and process modernization
• Strong communication skills: written and oral. Ability to communicate with employees at all levels
• Excellent command of written and spoken English
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and/or fingers to handle or feel. The employee frequently is required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, climb, stoop, kneel, talk or hear, and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
Employee must be at least 21 years of age, have a valid Driver’s License and be insurable by company standards.