Commitment to Impact
Fetzer Vineyards is an award-winning purveyor of multi-origin wines and spirits, selling in over 50 countries worldwide. Founded by Barney Fetzer in Mendocino County, CA, in 1968, and part of global powerhouse Viña Concha y Toro, Fetzer Vineyards today remains driven by excellence, innovation and longstanding commitments to the environment and responsible business practices. With a focus on crafting wines made from sustainable, organic and Biodynamic® grapes, Fetzer Vineyards is a Top-12 U.S. marketer of wines, the nation’s primary importer of South American wines, and the United States’ largest Certified B Corporation winery—a testament to the company’s dedication to the transformational goals of regenerative business.
In addition to its flagship Fetzer label, the Fetzer Vineyards portfolio features Bonterra Organic Vineyards, the 2016 Wine Enthusiast American Winery of the Year; 1000 Stories, California’s original Bourbon barrel-aged wine; Casillero del Diablo, the #1 Chilean wine brand (750ml) in the U.S.; and Trivento Reserve, the #3 selling Malbec in the U.S. The Origins Collection—an esteemed portfolio of super-premium to super-luxury offerings centered on terroir-driven wines from Chile, Argentina and the U.S.—showcases South American icons Don Melchor and Trivento Eolo Malbec, alongside Bonterra’s single-vineyard, biodynamically farmed wines and the award-winning craft whiskies of Kentucky Peerless Distilling Co.
As viticulturist, you will be responsible for producing fruit for a multitude of our brands including Bonterra—organically farmed wine—and single-vineyard, limited release wines grown on our Biodynamic ranches and produced using Biodynamic practices designed to promote and enhance biodiversity and biological activity in the soil. With an operation of over 950 acres of certified organic grapes and more than 400 acres of biodynamically farmed grapes in the Hopland area of Mendocino County, this is a great opportunity for those with a strong interest in regenerative organic farming and working with CCOF and certified Demeter fruit.
This role will enrich your practical experience due to the diversity of varietals—more than a dozen—and uniquely positioned estate ranches—valley floor, steep hillsides and some sites up to 2200’ in elevation.
If you are looking to line up your next career move now or after harvest, let’s get the conversation started!
On-site company provided housing available.
• Execute, maintain and help develop precision viticulture practices.
• Through technical driven details and data, help produce the highest quality organic wine grapes in the most efficient and effective manner.
• Support the Vineyard Department with meeting or surpassing safety, operational and quality goals.
• Cultivate continuous improvement in all areas, safety, efficiency, quality, application of new technology, etc.
Viticulture and Technology – 60%
• Implement new products and technologies that can be utilized in our vineyards to increase production, quality and efficiency.
• Perform all regulatory assignments and activities in manner compliant with state, federal, local, company, certifying agencies and organic/Biodynamic policies and regulations.
• Ensure all technical aspects of vineyard operations are properly implemented, maintained and recorded.
• As needed, aid with and provide tours and informational meetings to support product marketing and sales-related initiatives.
Vineyard and Crop Management – 35%
• Assist in the execution of in-season crop, fertility, pest, and disease management.
• Management of crop data, historical farming data (i.e., bud break, weather, frost, etc.). Perform the data collection process and ensure validity of data collected.
• Help ensure outside vendors or contractors are compliant with company policies as they relate to various services and materials.
• Review crop quality annually with Vineyard Department.
Team Development – 5%
• Assist management as needed with safety and training of staff.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Viticulture, Enology, Biology, Plant Science, Pest Management, Soil Science or related field with two-four years relevant experience through work, internships, Harvest, or equivalent education/experience combination
• Strong knowledge of viticulture practices and a general knowledge of winemaking practices and cycles
• CCA/PCA/QAL licenses preferred, but not required
• Experience in organic and Biodynamic farming practices preferred, but not required
• Ability to measure, document, analyze and maintain data
• Requires exceptional organization skills to track farming data and maintain records
• Ability to safely operate an ATV through various vineyard conditions; ability to be certified in operation of tractor, loader and ATV
• Requires on-call status for emergencies
• Ability to work nights and weekends as season demands i.e. frost season, Harvest
• Valid driver’s license required
• Fluent in field Spanish; bilingual English/Spanish highly preferred
About Fetzer Vineyards:
Our California winery operation includes Mendocino County winery, production and over 1000 acres of vineyard locations. The company employs over 300 across the United States.
Fetzer Vineyards’ corporate office is located at 12901 Old River Rd Hopland, CA 95449. It is about a two-hour drive, along scenic U.S. Route 101, north of San Francisco.
On-site company provided housing available. Vehicle provided.
Tell us about your passion for the wine industry by applying online http://fetzervineyards.appone.com