Performs all routine chemical, physical and microbiological analyses to monitor product quality from grape through bottling of the finished wine. In a team-based environment this position will also support cellar operations as it relates to chemical additions and inoculations.
This job description is designed to outline the essential functions of the position but is not intended to be all inclusive.
• Samples juices, fermenting musts, and wines for analysis and tasting.
• Performs all routine wet chemical/physical analyses on grapes, fermenting musts, and wines during harvest, bottling, and storage.
• Types of analysis include free and total SO2, Brix, RS, TA, pH, VA, YAN, malic acid, alcohol, cold stability, and heat stability.
• Performs bench trials for blending, fining, and additions.
• Performs daily monitoring of fermentations.
• Performs tasks related to harvest chemical additions and inoculations.
• Utilizes pumps and hoses following standard cellar practices to for harvest related chemical additions.
• Records completion of cellar work on the work order in a clear, complete, and accurate manner.
• Performs routine analyses to assure wine meets legal and quality requirements.
• Monitors bottling samples to assure wine quality.
• Maintains clear, concise and accessible records of all data for juices, wines, microbiological work, and bottling samples.
• Inputs wine/juice analysis into WiPS database program.
• Recognizes and resolves any discrepancies in data.
• Maintains inventory of chemicals and supplies to ensure supplies are ordered before they are depleted.
• Maintains lab in a clean and orderly state.
• Must respect all winery safety regulations pertaining to the use of chemicals.
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Skills / Qualifications / Experience:
• 21 years of age
• Strong chemistry skills required to run analysis.
• Must have prior experience sufficient to recognize potential problems that require solutions to be found at a higher level.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills desired.
• Must be highly organized and able to multi-task multiple projects.
• Ability to work as a team with all winery employees.
• Ability to work flexible shifts and long hours.
Physical Demands and Work Conditions:
• Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
• Work is repetitious in nature with a high demand for speed, accuracy and precision.
• Ability to work irregular shifts and long hours during grape harvest.