Rutherford Hill Winery, located in Rutherford, California, is seeking a dynamic, Harvest Enologist to join our team. The Harvest Enologist is a member of our seasonal winemaking team who oversees the lab and quality control. Candidates should have the knowledge to perform analysis and critical mind to respond to the analysis. This includes researching, reporting, and resolving issues that arise by working collaboratively with the winemaking team to produce premium Napa Valley wines. At Rutherford Hill, we specialize in Merlot as well as Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot, Malbec, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay and Rosé.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
• Perform pre-harvest vineyard sampling as needed.
• Maintain and manage all harvest lab procedures.
• Maintain up to date record keeping during harvest by ensuring results are promptly available to winemaking team in the format selected by the Winemaker. Ensure accuracy and report inaccuracies to the Winemaker.
• Work to ensure the highest quality and condition of the grapes and wine produced by maintaining the Lab Quality Control and Lab Quality Assurance during this time.
• Perform non-routine lab analysis as well as routine analysis in Lab Tech’s absence.
• Review analysis for the purpose of reacting to problems or opportunities (at all times).
• Maintain health and safety awareness and compliance in the Laboratory at all times.
• Maintain the laboratory in a clean, workmanlike, and economical factor.
• Participate in tastings and discussions.
• New duties as assigned by the Winemaker.
CAPABILITIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, experience and/ or abilities required.
• Bachelor of Science degree (or higher) in Enology or other related science such as Fermentation science, Biology, or Chemistry
• 2-3 Harvests supporting Winemaking and/or Lab Operations
• Well-developed sensory skills and good analytical skills
• Attention to detail and good organizational skills
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Ability to work well with others and to work long hours during harvest (September- December), including rotating shifts if needed.
• Good written and verbal communication, as well as time management skills.
• Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situation to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
• Ability to think critically.
• Proficient with Microsoft Excel and Word. Winemakers Database is a plus.
• Hold a valid driver’s license.
For California Residents:
We may collect the following categories of personal information in connection with the submission of your resume or application materials to us for employment, and if hired, your employment with us: identifiers (e.g., name, address, email address, birthdate, passport number); personal records (e.g., telephone number, signature, education information, criminal background information, travel information for interviews); biometric information (e.g., results of urine test); and professional or employment information (e.g., resume, employment history, background check forms, references). We may also draw inferences from the personal information we collect about you, such as information about your abilities and aptitudes. The above categories of personal information are collected for the following business purposes: providing you services and benefits (e.g., recruitment, verifying your information, administering the hiring process); processing interactions and transactions (e.g., to comply with federal and state laws requiring us to maintain certain records, managing the workforce); and security (e.g., detecting security incidents, protecting against fraudulent or illegal activity).