Greystone Winery is pleased to announce the immediate opening of a full time Vineyard Manager position located in North Stonington, CT. Home to beautiful coastal beaches and a thriving agricultural, restaurant, and tourism community, Southeastern Connecticut is approximately 90 minutes from Boston and 2.5 hours from New York City.
With a newly established vineyard, Greystone Winery has developed a comprehensive vineyard plan to exclusively grow vinifera grapes to the highest possible standard on its beautiful, newly prepared and tiled 30 acre field (with possibilities for future expansion) overlooking Long Island Sound. This is a hands-on position with significant support for someone who is motivated to implement excellent agricultural and viticultural practices to ensure care of the grapes, nurturing young plants all the way through to harvest, and ready to be manufactured into the highest quality wines. This is a long-term opportunity beginning with an entirely new vineyard, and the candidate will play a valued and critical role on the team as Greystone develops into a leading winery on the East Coast.
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
• Professional experience working in an agricultural, landscape, and/or horticultural setting - ideally at a vineyard or orchard
• Willingness to consistently care for vines (and other areas of the farm as needed) on a full-time basis
• Recruit and supervise a team of assistants to support vineyard and farm operations
• Excellent tractor skills and the ability to successfully operate a large variety of farm implements safely and properly
• A CT Pesticide Certification License (or willingness to promptly acquire one)
• Ability to maintain accurate digital records related to compliance and documenting daily farm tasks
• A sense of humor and a collaborative and helpful spirit when encountering a variety of individuals performing various tasks on the property
• Leadership, a “can do” attitude, and a willingness to brainstorm, troubleshoot and offer a hand wherever needed as the vineyard and farm develop and grow
• Good communication skills, sound judgement, discretion, and an ability to interact positively with winery guests, other employees, and members of the community
This is a full-time, year round position. Salary and total compensation are negotiable depending upon experience, with benefits flexible to be determined based upon the successful candidate’s needs.