Position: Vintage Harvest Assistant Winemaker
Location: North East, PA
Company: Robert Mazza, Inc. (Mazza Vineyards, Mazza Chautauqua Cellars, South Shore Wine Company)
Full/Part: Full time
Robert Mazza, Inc. is a family run operation consisting of three wine brands (Mazza Vineyards, Mazza Chautauqua Cellars, South Shore Wine Company), a distilled spirits brand (Five & 20 Spirits) and a craft beer brand (Five & 20 Brewing) located between two main locations located along Lake Erie in North East, PA and Westfield, NY. The wine operations crush approximately 1300+ tons on site per year (vinifera, hybrids and native varieties) with a total annual production of approximately 350,000 +/- gallons. A portion of the business is dedicated to contract production, production of bulk juice and wine, contract bottling, and custom distillation. More information can be found at www.EnjoyMazza.com.
This position is hands-on and requires technical knowledge of winemaking. Responsibilities cover a wide range of oversight and hands-on execution of operations from crush to bottle including (but not limited to):
• Conducting wine analysis, vineyard grape sample processing and analysis
• Fermentation monitoring during harvest
• Assisting with lab analyses and maintenance and review of QC data and information.
• Participate in blend trials and sensory analysis of wines.
• Cellar operations including racking, transfers, barrel work, fining and various forms of filtration.
• Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
The candidate must be able to help organize and complete work in an effective and efficient manner with a focus on quality. Ability to effectively manage time and prioritize tasks is a necessity as is the desire to help craft quality wines. The ideal candidate is cheerful, positive, with a “can do attitude”, organized, detail oriented, quality and performance driven, proactive and focused with the ability to multitask.
Members of the winemaking team will collaborate with distilling and brewing team on certain cross over projects. Additionally, this position has the potential for growth and movement into a permanent position.
• BA/BS or Graduate Diploma in Enology or similar field, or significant experience and training in the grape and wine industry.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills a must.
• Mechanical ability preferred.
• Computer skills in Word, Excel, Outlook and Database programs.
• Valid Drivers license.
• Ability to operate a forklift a plus.
• Ability to lift 50 lbs.
• Able to work in adverse conditions; hot/cold weather, rain, concrete floors, walking stairs, ladders, etc.
• Able to sit and/or walk and stand for most of the day; twist, bend, crouch , extend and have full range of motion in all varieties of physical movement.
Salary commensurate with experience, comprehensive benefits available.