Rooted in rebellion. Commitment to regenerate.
Fetzer Vineyards is the America’s largest winery certified as a B Corporation wine industry leader in using business as a force for good, Fetzer Vineyards stewards an award-winning portfolio of multi-origin wines and spirits that are available in more than 50 countries worldwide. Founded in 1968, Fetzer Vineyards today remains driven by excellence, innovation and longstanding commitments to the environment, regenerative agriculture, and responsible business practices.
In addition to robust offerings under the winery’s flagship Fetzer label, the winery also crafts the leading wine from organic grapes, Bonterra Organic Vineyards. Other California offerings include Anthony’s Hill, Relay, Fringe Collective, and 1000 Stories, the original Bourbon barrel-aged wine.
As lead winery maintenance technician, you will lead a team of winery maintenance workers in daily activities and provide lead level support to the department. This position entails providing a safe work environment and day-to-day supervisory responsibility of the winery maintenance team consisting of two full-time employees.
In this critical role, you will work under limited direction performing skilled level maintenance on winery machinery including but not limited to crusher/de-stemmers, presses, sorting table, barrel washers, boilers, refrigeration equipment, winery power systems, winery wiring, wastewater and winery plumbing.
Critical job responsibilities include:
• Lead and prioritize the winery maintenance team in their daily maintenance tasks and projects.
• Create and execute an inspection strategy to generate a facility preventive maintenance (PM) and corrective maintenance plan.
• Identify and prioritize critical maintenance projects in order to protect existing assets.
• Budget planning with operations manager for assets, employee overtime and materials.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Winery Maintenance 80%
• Install, troubleshoot and repair general industrial and winery-specific equipment, which includes but is not limited to refrigeration, wastewater, pumps, welding, electrical, plumbing and machining.
• Perform mechanical tasks such as preventative maintenance, lubrication, filter replacing and repairs to general industrial equipment including but not limited to pumps, barrel machines, refrigeration, boilers, aerators, compressors, etc.
• Prioritize and complete all assigned work orders and track them in a computerized maintenance management system (CMMS). Document all repairs and modifications made.
• Disassemble and reassemble equipment; examine and test mechanisms on large and small pieces of machinery, as well as adjust calibration to ensure equipment conforms to specifications and standards.
• Take action on unsafe conditions by promptly responding to emergency maintenance calls.
• Suggest modifications of equipment and/or processes to improve performance and to increase production.
• Provide preventative maintenance, repairs and troubleshooting services for barrel processing equipment and filtration equipment, de-stemmers, presses, crush pits, etc.
• Maintain refrigeration system and electrical components.
• Maintain shop machines, tools and inventories in a clean and organized manner.
• Utilize CMMS to generate work orders (WOs). Review, approve, assign,schedule WOs.
• Manage and schedule work with contractors and outside service providers, including compliance with insurance, safety and contractor guidelines.
• Other duties include but are not limited to: approve and process invoices, P-Card transactions, time/payroll related transactions and requests, facilitate safety tailgate meetings, perform annual and midyear employee evaluations and assist with various employee relation issues.
Capital Project Support 10%
• Work with various departments on project development and design.
• Work closely with facility project engineer for large integrated projects.
Other Duties 10%
• Responsible for managing compliance related work orders such as fire system, wastewater discharge, scale/hoist inspections.
• Effectively lead the organization of the workplace environment (shop and job sites), maintaining organization, cleanliness and safety standards. Assist with housekeeping and sanitation audits, corrective findings, development and ongoing compliance.
• Bachelor Degree or certification in related field preferred and 7-10 years of winery maintenance mechanic and project management experience, or equivalent experience/education combination
• Demonstrated experience leading work teams, including efficient delegation and prioritization of daily/weekly activities
• Demonstrated ability to work safely and maintain a safe work environment for self and team
• Ability to make rapid decisions in a safe and timely manner while understanding the impact and repercussions of those decisions and notifying appropriate personnel of such decisions
• This is a 5-day/8-hour per day position, Mon–Fri. May require alternate work schedules and/or overtime work during harvest season up to 12 weeks per year. Requires callback status for emergencies.
• Valid CDL
• Forklift certified or ability to be
• Respirator certification or ability to be
• Wine industry experience maintenance operations, a definite plus
• Knowledge of PLC functions including troubleshooting, programing and repair
• Experience using MVP (in-house CMMS)
• Budgeting and expense tracking/reporting
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus
About Fetzer Vineyards:
Our California winery operation includes Mendocino County winery, production and over 1000 acres of vineyard locations. The company employs over 300 across the United States.
Fetzer Vineyards’ corporate office is located at 12901 Old River Rd Hopland, CA 95449