The outlined position in this job description may be re-evaluated at a later time. Accepting/applying for this position you understand that the compensation range associated with this position may change.
Created in 1978 by Baron Philippe de Rothschild and Robert Mondavi, Opus One remains committed to realizing our founders’ dream of bringing to life one unique wine that expresses the seamlessly blended personality and character of each family. With a great sense of pride in our work to realize this dream, the people of Opus One bring profound dedication and unsurpassed attention to detail in our daily work. We care deeply for the quality of our relationships within the winery, with our trade partners and with our customers.
Reflecting the spirit, grace and uncompromising hospitality of the Founders, the Guest Relations Host welcomes visitors into our Courtyard Tasting Room and shares information about our vineyards, our wine, and the history of Opus One. Calm and courteous, the Host offers professional customer service with a gracious demeanor going above and beyond to create special lasting relationships with our guests.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Serving wines by the glass for guests in our Courtyard Tasting Room, while explaining what makes our wine unique and special, and accurately describing vintages of Opus One.
• Reading guests to find out what they’re interested in, what they want to know more about, and be able to tell our story in an engaging and natural way.
• Completing retail bottle sales and shipping orders through the Commerce7 POS System.
• Directing guests to the public spaces, checking on guests as they taste through their wines, and helping clean up once guests depart.
• Stocking the Courtyard Tasting Room, taking inventories, and opening and closing the cash register and credit card terminals.
• Ensuring that various areas visited by the public are available, appointed, and meticulously maintained.
• Closing down and preparing the tasting room for next business day.
• Maintain, update, and expand knowledge of viticulture and enology by participating in educational trainings offered by Opus One and by outside sources.
• Speak knowledgeably about all Opus One representatives and vintages offered for sale at the winery; knowing details about Opus One or related merchandise to better assist the customer in the selection of wine or wine-related items.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
2-4 years’ experience working at a winery or wine-related business; comprehensive wine knowledge; strong retail sales/public relations skills and experience (luxury environment preferred); understanding, desire, and ability to represent Opus One in order to promote our wine and image; foreign language skills (French, German, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, Portuguese or Spanish) preferred; college degree or college level coursework preferred; knowledge of viticulture, winemaking, wine marketing, and/or wine tasting preferred.
Excellent command of written and spoken English. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts and percentages. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and/or fingers to handle or feel. The employee frequently is required to stand. The employee is occasionally required to sit, walk, climb, stoop, kneel, talk or hear, taste or smell. The employee must have the ability to taste, discriminate and describe on a blind basis a wide range of wines and foods and must have the ability to speak without amplification for a minimum of 4 hours. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
COMMITTMENT TO SUSTAINABILITY
Opus One Winery is committed to doing its part to ensure a sustainable future and improve the environmental well-being of our community. We will continue to ensure minimal impact by continually evaluating our environmental performance and working to improve our program whenever necessary with integrity and purity of focus.
SAFETY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Accident prevention shall be considered of primary importance in all phases of job responsibilities.
• Follow all company policies and procedures including job safety, safety rules and regulations.
• Assist management to provide safe and healthy working conditions at all times.
• Immediately report all unsafe conditions, work-related accidents, and illnesses to Safety Manager and supervisor.