Kitchen Manager Mission: The Kitchen Manager will assist in the planning, organizing and coordinating of all food preparation for the Wine Lounge, private and special events. The Kitchen Manager will play a large role in ordering products and ingredients, leading the Culinary Team with a hands-on approach. This position will schedule, train and mentor the culinary staff in techniques and new menu developments that emphasize Domaine Serene’s food and wine pairings.
Core Position Expectations: (The core position expectations are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. Duties and responsibilities are also subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.)
• Assist in the planning and execution of food preparation and culinary activities—this includes food pairings to complement wine tastings, the cheese & charcuterie program and private functions.
• Schedule and coordinate the work of all kitchen staff to assure that food preparation is economical and technically correct, and within budgeted labor cost goals.
• Lead daily culinary activities with a hands-on approach and ensure that performance meets and exceeds the expectations of Domaine Serene.
• Develop standard operating procedures for food preparation to assure consistent high quality and minimize food costs.
• Order/purchase food and complete food costing on a regular basis.
• Execute and maintain wine-paired menus for group events that define the highest standard of cuisine and wine pairing potential as directed by Domaine Serene.
• Interact with management to assure that food production consistently exceeds the expectations of members and guests.
• Effectively partner with the management team to ensure guest experiences meet the luxury standards of the brand.
• Provide clear, on-going communication to the team through consistent and timely direction, establishing specific and clearly communicated performance goals and delivering meaningful coaching discussions.
• Ensure that high standards of sanitation, cleanliness and safety are maintained throughout all kitchen areas at all times.
• Establish controls to minimize food and supply waste and theft.
• Safeguard all food preparation by implementing training for employees to increase their knowledge about safety, sanitation and accident prevention.
• Coordinate the purchase of food and supplies from vendors approved by Domaine Serene, and monitor inventory.
• Stay current on restaurant industry trends.
• Arrange for equipment purchases and repairs as approved by Wine Lounge General Manager.
• Establish and maintain a regular cleaning and maintenance schedule for all kitchen areas and equipment.
• Ensure that representatives from the kitchen attend service lineups and meetings.
• Regularly visit dining and public areas when it is open to welcome guests and club members.
• Support safe work habits and a safe working environment at all times.
• Establish goals and objectives for Culinary staff and assist in conducting meaningful employee reviews when necessary.
Essential Job Functions, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to motivate, coach, and develop team members in the area of food preparation and presentation, hospitality, leadership and wine education.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects and delegate tasks as appropriate.
• Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Ability to multi-task and adjust priorities to meet deadlines on short notice.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships at all levels of an organization.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to draft reports, business correspondence, policies and proposals in a highly effective and efficient manner.
• Ability to demonstrate discretion, good judgment, tactfulness and diplomacy.
• Demonstrated ability to research and resolve problems.
• Regular, reliable and punctual attendance.
• Strong customer service skills with the ability to work successfully in partnership with other departments.
• Demonstrated knowledge of MS Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Must be able to lift 50 lbs. whenever necessary.
• Ability to work weekends, evenings and holidays as required, and from time-to-time, travel on behalf of the company.
Ability to perform essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of employee or others. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Minimum 5 years’ formal culinary experience required.
• Excellent record of kitchen leadership and performance.
• Extensive wine knowledge preferred, including specific regions of Oregon, Burgundy and Champagne.
• Culinary Arts Degree or the equivalent combination of education and/or 5-7 years’ experience is required.
Professional Requirements (licenses, programs, or certificates):
• Oregon Food Handler Certification (i.e. Oregon food handler card).
• Valid Oregon Food Manager Training Certificate (or ability to complete an Oregon approved course and become certified).
• Oregon recognized food allergen training certificate (or ability to complete an Oregon recognized course and become certified).
• OLCC Service Permit.
• CS, CSW, or W-SET level I, preferred.