Union Wine Company is looking for two Harvest Winemakers to join our ranks for the upcoming vintage.
We are situated between Portland and the Willamette Valley wine country in a warehouse-winery affectionately known as the Industrial Chateau. Founded in 2005, Union Wine Company attempts to embrace the artistry of making great wine, minus all the fuss. Union cares more about what goes into the bottle than what kind of bottle (or can) it is. This coming vintage, we will process about 6,700 tons of fruit sourced from all across Oregon. While the majority of production is for the brand Underwood, our other brands continue to remain in focus. These include Kings Ridge, Christopher Michael, Alchemist, and Amity Vineyards.
We are searching for two individuals who are excited to join the winemaking team in our efforts to elevate quality, improve efficiency, and enjoy the most exciting aspect of our chosen vocation. One successful applicant will be responsible for the swing shift and the other applicant will be in charge of the night shift. The primary role of these positions will be to oversee shift harvest logistics and to manage ten cellar interns with the assistance of one or two full-time cellar hands.
Scope of Responsibilities
• Assess requirements of the day – labor demand vs supply
• Create work notes to be directly distributed to staff
• Ensure cellar work is being executed properly
• Teach inexperienced interns winery procedures using provided SOPs
• Maintain a positive attitude amongst the crew
• Use leadership, experience and expertise to inspire and lead the crew
• Assist in monitoring fermentations and make corrective decisions to maximize quality
• Help ensure smart decisions are made to maximize tank and equipment utilization
• Coordinate with winemaking staff to maintain winery, harvest equipment and supplies
• Provide outside suggestions to help improve winemaking protocol
• Help troubleshoot unexpected equipment problems
• Participate in and/or conduct benchtop trials to evaluate additives
• Conceptualize, conduct and evaluate lab and winery scale experiments
• Years of experience in overall management of medium to large wineries
• Positive disposition
• Ability to learn quickly, adapt to new systems and collaborate easily
• Extremely computer literate – experience with winery specific software a plus
• Enological analytical expertise
• Willingness to walk many miles, stand for long periods of time, and able to lift 50+ pounds repeatedly
• Able to work long hours
• Compensation for mobile phone bill
• Meals provided while at work
The position will begin around the middle of August and ends in early or mid-November, though this duration is not necessarily set in stone. Start date flexibility is a must.
Union Wine Company is arguably the best winery on planet earth. Search the interwebs for more information, if you’ve not already done so. Essentially you will work with amazing people, eat burritos, learn our secrets, enjoy Portland, work hard and make lifelong friends. What more could you want?