Artesa is a modern, stylish and joyful Spanish-American winery with a dedication to artisanal craftsmanship. Our singular Estate Vineyard in the hills of Los Carneros in the Napa Valley is renowned for pinot noir & chardonnay, along with a diverse portfolio of boutique wines that represent our heritage, terroir, and the art of winemaking. Our iconic winery is a top hospitality destination in the region and a dedicated membership following.
Artesa is looking for an enthusiastic hard-working cellar intern for the upcoming 2021 harvest. Candidates should have a passion for wine, work well in a team environment and have excellent attention to detail. This seasonal position is responsible for supporting Artesa’s full-time cellar crew with cellar operations as directed by the Cellar Leads and/or Assistant Winemaker or Winemaker. This position reports to the Assistant Winemaker. Note that this position involves working overtime, including nights and weekends. In addition, during the peak harvest season, cellar interns could be working up to six days a week. Overtime work will exist but is not guaranteed, this is dependent upon picking / winery schedule. This internship is expected to last 3-4 months.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
• Tasks include, but are not limited to:
o sanitation of must lines, pumps, presses, tanks, and all winery equipment
o assist in crush pad operations including grape receiving, crushing, racking, transfers, etc.
o pumpovers / punchdowns / cap management as directed by winemaking
o assist with press work including digging out tanks and cleaning the press
o cleaning / prepping / filling / topping and other general barrel work
o setting up lines & tanks for wine transfers
o yeast and nutrient additions
o Basic understanding of the sorting table; assist senior personnel as required
o Understanding of the crush pad, tank and cellar sanitation, general cleanliness and maintaining an organized, neat workplace
• All Cellar techniques used are in accordance with the winery’s high standards of quality and SOP.
• Able to lift and carry 48 pounds (weight of a case of wine)
• Able to climb ladders, catwalk stairs and stand for extended periods of time.
• Able to shovel pomace and operate a pneumatic punch-down device.
• Willing and able to work standing for a minimum of 8 hours
• Willing and able to work weekends and extended hours during peak season
The perfect candidates will have:
• Positive attitude
• Flexibility and a good sense of humor
• Ability to listen and take direction from all full-time staff
• Organized and with attention to detail
• Able to adapt to a fast paced and changing environment
• Strong initiative and good work ethic
• Curious and enthusiastic about winemaking, and wine in general
• At least one previous harvest experience