This is a Harvest position at the Skylane Cellars laboratory. The individual in this position will be responsible for performing routine wine chemistry analyses in an accurate and timely manner and in accordance with good lab practice. Candidates for this position should have knowledge of chemistry, winery terminology, and wine production.
• Sampling of barrels and tanks for lab analysis
• Use of densitometer for measuring specific gravity, brix and temperature
• Sampling for enzymatic analysis to monitor fermentations
• Analysis of free sulfur dioxide by aeration-oxidation titration
• Analysis of total sulfur dioxide by Ripper titration
• Analysis of pH by probe
• Analysis of ethanol by near infrared
• Analysis of titratable acidity and pH by automatic titration
• Analysis of turbidity by turbidity meter
• Analysis of volatile acidity by Cash still distillation
• Entry of analytical results into database
• Preparation of next day paperwork for sampling and recording data
• Other duties as assigned
Qualified candidates preferably have a BS or BA in Microbiology, Food Science, Biology, Chemistry, Enology, or a related degree. The candidate should possess spoken and written English skills, must be detail-oriented, and computer literate (Word, Excel, and database systems); Spanish language skills are a plus, but not required. Prior production experience in a wine lab environment is a plus. Requires work schedule flexibility. Must be able to lift 35 lbs. and able to stand for long periods of time.