DeLille Cellars is looking for a Director of Finance & Accounting (DF&A) to lead the next evolution in finance and accounting and to collaborate with the CEO in executing the winery’s next phase vision and business strategy. The business has grown rapidly over the last five years and is embarking on a new phase of growth. This role will directly influence the future course for the winery’s business with emphasis on developing and implementing key finance and accounting strategies and operational controls directed at growing top line/revenues and bottom line/profitability.
The DF&A reports directly to the CEO, and offices out of Woodinville, Washington.
Key responsibilities include collaborating with the CEO and the management team to create business strategies, plans, and budgets; manage finance and accounting operations; build organizational competence and capability; nurture the company’s culture; monitor and measure performance; and implement organizational change. Collaborating with the CEO, the DF&A leads annual, quarterly, and monthly sales and financial planning/reporting and manages all processes and systems that support regular accounting close and subsequent financial reporting.
1. Oversees accounting and finance processes and staff/outside CPA relationship, including AR/AP, bank and credit card reconciliations, year-end closes with CPA firm, annual tax filing requirements, and monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statement reporting and bank loan requirements:
o Selling expense accrual process, requiring monthly collaboration with sales management and accounting.
o Production cost accrual and planning process, inventory reconciliation, requiring monthly collaboration with production management and accounting.
o Budget process linked to an operating plan.
o Rolling 5-year annual projections.
o Cash flow planning.
o General ledger accounts payable/receivable program.
o Order entry inventory and POS systems that connect with general ledger accounts.
o Inventory costing & control system across all products.
o Solid and timely financial reporting.
o Tax planning.
o Cost accounting system.
2. In collaboration with CEO and sales directors, leads sales planning and reporting systems management.
3. Leads Human Resources processes and systems; manages company-wide employee hiring, retention and development; ensures proper staffing to maximize, productivity, profitability and quality.
Near Term Priorities
1. Institutionalize next phase finance and accounting practices.
o Develop corporate policies and practices ensuring proper controls are in place to operate the business, including financial, accounting, human resources and compliance.
o Establish and monitor key performance indicators.
o Evaluate finance and accounting process efficiencies and implement necessary changes; review and where appropriate reduce cost structure.
o Review inventory costing protocols and implement necessary changes.
o Develop/implement strong organizational practices in collaboration with CEO.
o Refine/define supply chain management efficiencies, processes and protocols.
2. Provide financial and accounting leadership to the organization – build and develop a strong team capable of delivering with a high degree of reliability.
3. Integrate rolling five-year plans and annual operating budgets to achieve long term strategy.
4. (Collaborating with CEO) Meet or exceed 2021/2022 financial and non-financial performance targets for the business.
5. Manage risk across the organization – develop dashboards and track results for compliance: HR, Accounting, EH&S, shipping, sales.
Education and Experience. Bachelor’s degree in business, finance or accounting. MBA a plus.
• Minimum of ten years’ experience in accounting and finance operations management. Prior experience in wine or beverage alcohol accounting or financial management is essential. Controller experience at larger winery ideal.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities. Operational savvy and focus on Profit &Loss (P&L) goals; demonstrates experience understanding and leading a team (comprised of a broad array of business functions) to drive the key strategic initiatives of the business.
• Track record of progressive experience in wine costing/COGS accounting; managing CPA firm and banking relationships; implementing and improving stable bookkeeping, accounting and finance systems; inventory reconciliation, consistent, accurate, on time reporting.
• Strategic capacity + team development experience a real plus: ability to bring broad perspective and creative thinking to identify and assess business opportunities.
• Understanding of end-to-end winery supply chain management processes and systems; track record managing winery production and business operations supply chain and logistics strategy and operations to maximize process efficiency and productivity.
• Experienced at developing, implementing, Integrating, managing finance/accounting and wine inventory systems.
• Track record building a trusting relationship with CEO and business owners.
• Must exhibit excellent communication skills, analytical skills and problem-solving ability: mature judgment, stability and a seasoned general management mentality – able to make sound, intelligent and rapid business decisions.
• Strong bottom line orientation; pushes for results without compromising people, team, due process or ethics.
• Familiarity with Direct to Consumer sales and marketing operation, the three-tier distribution network, and shipment, depletion and scan data reporting and analysis.
• Expert computer skills are required, with ability to report and analyze multi-dimensional data and complex information.
• Experience in successfully leading an organization through major change and communicating a compelling vision to all stakeholders.
DeLille Cellars is an equal opportunity employer.