Schramsberg, America's House of Sparkling Wine, is seeking an Assistant Winemaker to join our team to oversee the Davies Vineyards red wine program.
Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life/LTD, 401K, PTO, Wine, and Clothing Allocations.
Location: Calistoga and St. Helena
The Assistant Winemaker, independently and as part of a team, supervises all winery, lab, and production operation activities including harvest, blending, bottling, and forecasting functions to ensure that all operations are performed in an efficient, safe, and cost-effective manner consistent with established winemaking procedures. This position oversees the Davies Vineyards red program production in St. Helena, CA. Travel between Schramsberg property and St. Helena is expected.
- Oversee and assist in winery operations, including but not limited to harvest, blending, and bottling activities in accordance with established winemaking protocols.
- Supervise cellar and laboratory staff in maintaining winemaking procedures and quality standards.
- Maintains winemaking database (Winemaker’s Database), record keeping, and inventory.
- Ensure that winery equipment, tanks, floors, and buildings are kept clean, sanitary, and orderly.
- Participate in vineyard monitoring and grower relations activities in coordination with Viticulturalist/Grower Relations Manager.
- Maintain Winery Safety Program.
- Participate in winery and strategic planning meetings.
- Participate in a range of in-house and external winery events as needed (Cellar Club events, Camp Schramsberg/Davies, PNV, e.g.).
- Assist in the development of procedural and quality control manuals.
- Participate in sparkling wine program activities as needed (harvest, trials, tastings, and tirage).
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 5 years experience in related industry.
- Experience in all phases of production – bottling, packaging, scheduling is essential.
- Commitment to excellence and high standards.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Advanced Excel and data analysis skills.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills; able to manage priorities and workflow. Able to plan, anticipate and lead winemaking procedures, training
programs, and educational forums.
- Ability to lead and manage a team.
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work in dynamic environments.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of various teams and committees.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with diverse individuals at all organizational levels.
- Good judgment with the ability to make timely and sound decisions
- Creative, flexible, and innovative team player.
- Ability to speak and understand the Spanish language is highly desirable.
- Able to lift 50+ pounds frequently and continually move objects.
- Walk, kneel, bend, and stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Requires sufficient good health to properly discharge duties.
- Requires ability to drive assigned vehicle(s) or personal vehicle, with an appropriate state license, following all laws applicable; must provide proof of liability insurance and
must be eligible to be insured under Schramsberg’s insurance policy.
- Taste and smell.
- A percentage of time will be spent in the cellar where temperatures are cool and noise levels are usually high.
- Irregular shifts, including nights and long hours, are often required.
- Able to work outside in variable weather conditions.
- Traveling from both wineries is expected. (Calistoga and St. Helena)