Rooted in rebellion. Commitment to regenerate.
Fetzer Vineyards is the world’s largest winery certified as a B Corporation and the recipient of a United Nations Momentum for Change award for global leadership in climate-smart winegrowing. A wine industry leader in using business as a force for good, Fetzer Vineyards stewards an award-winning portfolio of multi-origin wines and spirits that are available in more than 50 countries worldwide. Founded by Barney Fetzer in Mendocino County, California, in 1968, Fetzer Vineyards today remains driven by excellence, innovation and longstanding commitments to the environment, regenerative agriculture, and responsible business practices.
In addition to robust offerings under the winery’s flagship Fetzer label, the winery also crafts the leading wine from organic grapes, Bonterra Organic Vineyards, named American Winery of the Year by Wine Enthusiast magazine in 2016. Other California offerings include Anthony’s Hill, Relay, Sanctuary Wines and 1000 Stories, the original Bourbon barrel-aged wine. Part of global winery Viña Concha y Toro, Fetzer Vineyards imports iconic South American selections from Chile and Argentina.
During the Harvest season, we are looking to hire two Harvest Viticulture Technicians for the North Coast (Mendocino and Lake counties). This is a great role for those looking to gain harvest experience in the wine industry or those seeking an interim role that affords the opportunity to visit gorgeous vineyards and outdoor vistas throughout the North Coast.
In this role, you will be responsible for collecting field data including cluster counts, weights and general phenological data as well as performing field sugar testing of grapes for approximately 8 – 12 weeks. The Vit Tech will have the opportunity to work with the entire grower relations team as well as winemakers.
This temporary position lasts through Harvest with an estimated duration of early/mid-August to late October 2021.
Hopland based position: The North Coast focused role will begin with a schedule of about 6 hours a day and expand to 8 hours during Harvest. The schedule is Monday – Friday with the addition of Saturday during peak harvest season. The ideal start time would be sunrise/early morning while cool. The company provides mileage reimbursement for business related travel while in the field.
• Collect cluster counts and weights.
• Monitor and undertake sugar sampling (brix samples) of grapes in designated areas of the vineyards in a timely and accurate manner.
• Record and report results to grower relations team/supervisor on a daily basis.
• Record and track time and mileage for payroll.
• Assist with vineyard monitoring and related tasks such as doing crop estimates, observing grape ripeness characteristics and record keeping of sugar sampling results.
• Ability to communicate in a professional and effective manner with people in the organization as well as our grower community (written & verbal).
• Must provide own vehicle that is capable of driving on dirt roads and uneven terrain, valid CDL and auto insurance.
• Requires rigorous walking and physical work in vineyards with steep and/or uneven terrain.
• May require work in extreme weather such as heat for extended periods.
• Willingness to travel within the counties.
• Early morning hours and some Saturday work required.
• Self-directed with the ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
• Detail oriented with excellent record keeping skills.
• Some data entry and computer work required.
• Must adapt easily to daily changes in schedules, plans and priorities.
• Professional attitude and proper representation of the Company with growers and the public.
• Teamwork with internal and external contacts.
• Viticulture knowledge, a plus (but not required).
• A passion for or interest in agriculture.
• Appreciation for an outdoor work environment.
Ability to lift and carry 50 lbs. as needed; ability to drive motor vehicles to assigned ranches, work locations and offices; able to work in all weather conditions including but not limited to heat, cold, wet and windy. Ability to walk and perform physical work in vineyards with steep and/or uneven terrain, mud, dust and soft soil. Ability to climb, crawl, squat, kneel, and bend. Sitting, hand/finger dexterity, and working at computer or in an office or shop setting required. Valid CA Driver License.
About Fetzer Vineyards:
Our California winery operation includes Mendocino County winery, production and 1000 acres of farmed vineyard locations. The company employs over 300 across the United States.
Multiple Positions Available In:
Central Coast, North Coast (Mendocino and Lake Counties), Interior Valley (Lodi)
Fetzer Vineyards’ corporate office is located at 12901 Old River Rd Hopland, CA 95449
Tell us about your passion for the wine industry by applying online http://fetzervineyards.appone.com
Requires successful completion of criminal background, DMV check (if applicable) and drug screen. AA/EOE/M/F/D/V You will be required to submit verification of your citizenship or legal right to work in the United States at the time of an offer of employment.