About Underground Cellar
Underground Cellar is a Y Combinator and VC-backed startup based in San Francisco that is currently experiencing hyper-growth. We’ve ‘gamified’ wine sales through our addictive e-commerce platform that gives buyers a great value through “upgrades”, allowing wineries to quickly sell wine without resorting to brand-damaging discounts. Since our initial launch Underground Cellar has sold over 750,000 bottles of wine and has realized skyrocketing growth of 600% the past year. Underground Cellar is the most exciting way to buy wine in the world.
What you will do and the impact you’ll have
We believe that everyone should have the chance to savor some of the best, unique, and most exciting wines across the globe. As a key member of the procurement team, you will use your knowledge of the wine-world and your network of contacts to grow new winery relationships and obtain the very best bottles from Napa Valley and around the world. You will help our team develop a reliable, varied, and high-quality pipeline of wines that can satisfy our wide variety of customers for years to come.
At Underground Cellar, we have a unique approach to selling wine and that requires a creative and flexible approach to marketing our business, building relationships with vendors, and curating a world-class assortment for our customers. We are looking for someone with deep industry expertise but also with open-mindedness and enthusiasm to further develop our unique position within the industry.
- Leverage your existing network of winery and winemaker contacts to bring new wines and relationships to Underground Cellar members.
- Help develop the strategy for how Underground Cellar engages with distributors, suppliers, and wineries while negotiating the best deals on margin and allocation.
- Consistently source wines that meet or exceed our monthly revenue and profit goals.
- Partner with wineries for co-marketing opportunities on our website and social media channels, including obtaining exclusive interviews, social media content, and autographed bottles.
- Help play the role of a company wine expert and report to the executive team on market drivers, trends, and influences in the industry.
- Strong existing relationships within the wine industry (Napa and Sonoma are priority)
- 3+ years experience as a wine buyer. (Online retail experience a plus)
- Proficient in Excel, Microsoft Suite, Google Suite, and comfortable with CRM/ERP systems for data entry, inventory, and analytics. (Netsuite experience a plus)
- Strong negotiation skills paired with excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Solid work ethic and the ability to learn quickly.
- Resourceful with an adaptive attitude, willing to roll with the punches and experiment with new ideas.
- Have easy access to our Napa Valley office and the wineries in Napa Valley.
- Strong knowledge of industry and market trends. (CSW, WSET II+, ISG Diploma)
- Unending passion for wine.
We’ve Got You Covered
Underground Cellar is invested in the health and wellness of our family-like team:
- Competitive base salary.
- Top-of-the-line health insurance.
- 401k with matching.
- Significant equity ownership for every employee.
- Company-wide events and travel (we took the whole team to Hawaii once!)
- Free gym membership.
- Flexible work hours and unlimited paid time off.
- Complimentary wine tastings throughout Napa, and more!
Our Core Values - Ones we actually live by!
Lead with integrity
We operate at a high level of integrity that is deeply rooted in large ways and in small daily activities and practices. We act with honor and truthfulness in all that we do.
We achieve the best results through the combined efforts of each individual. Our culture creates an eagerness in employees to take initiative and personal interest in the people with whom they work with.
We place a high value on equality and fair treatment in the workplace. All employees are treated with a high level of respect all while ensuring a safe, diverse, and welcoming work environment free of any form of discrimination.
We own everything in our world, to an extreme degree. We are responsible for not just those tasks which we directly control, but for all those that affect whether or not our mission is successful.
Our executive team maintains open communication and radical transparency in all aspects of the business (every employee has access to company bank account balances, etc). We also provide an open line of communication for all employees to voice their opinions. We welcome all suggestions and improvements by team members.
We are a team where positivity is contagious. We’re truly passionate about what we do and look for others who approach their work with the same energy. We're not afraid to get messy and view every challenge as an opportunity to learn and grow.
We value talent and dedication just as much as we encourage creativity and passion. We also believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view that drive us forward every day.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in our hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance to ensure appropriate accommodations are in place.
Due to COVID-19, our standard recruitment process has slightly changed. Click here to learn more about how Underground Cellar is continuing to hire during this time and what you can expect throughout the hiring and onboarding process.
LEARN MORE ABOUT US:
- Shark Tank's Barbara Corcoran Backs Underground Cellar: https://youtu.be/YZWXEBDtdMw